Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrol Shotgun Needed

Feedback Score

Patrol Shotgun Needed

I now have a good excuse (one accepted by my wife) to buy a shotgun for work but I'm not really familiar with them. It has to be an 870, but so far nobody has said it has to be the police model. The Express Tactical pretty much comes how I'd like to set it up with the ghost ring rear and a rail. I plan to mount an RMR or an Aimpoint micro, at least eventually, so it's nice that it comes ready. But the internet says the express models break. Is this something that Remington has rectified, or do I need to buy a police model and find a gunsmith to make my dreams come true? If I bought the express, should I replace the extractor for peace of mind and call it good? If the recommendation is to go the police model/gunsmith route, does anyone know a gunsmith in the Austin, TX area that seriously knows what they're doing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One man's opinion... I personally won't touch anything new production Remington, at least not for anything serious use wise, or for that matter at all really. I am sure there will be some will will say the stuff is fine, but having dealt with those dealing with the company at a distributor level, asinine moves by the company in recent years, and recent QC/QA stuff in the past few years that I have seen on their stuff. I'd be looking for either a decent used, older, 870 Police, or one that was worked over by someone knowledgeable on the platform.

Also, if one finds a 870 Police used, if you are lucky you can be grabbing it for around or under $300. Which, while used, I'd consider to be cheap piece of mind.

As said, personal opinion, though one from a man who still wants a good 870, just not pleased with what I have seen on the newer stuff.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    That's what I keep hearing, and I was hoping it was just all from a couple years back or so. The department guns are issued to the vehicles, and they need some serious love. I'd prefer to be able to have my own that I can become one with so that if called upon I know exactly what it'll do. And that it'll work because it'll see oil more than once a decade. I've had a tough time finding used police models in decent shape. Most seem to be trade ins that look like they were found in a river. I'm not opposed to sending one off to someone to work over if need be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCASTLE View Post
    That's what I keep hearing, and I was hoping it was just all from a couple years back or so. The department guns are issued to the vehicles, and they need some serious love. I'd prefer to be able to have my own that I can become one with so that if called upon I know exactly what it'll do. And that it'll work because it'll see oil more than once a decade. I've had a tough time finding used police models in decent shape. Most seem to be trade ins that look like they were found in a river. I'm not opposed to sending one off to someone to work over if need be.
    On the used models. Looks aren't everything. I'd be more concerned about how solid the internals are. If the internals are good then the outside isn't a huge issue, baring rust, holes, or a bent barrel. And if a police trade in then I would assume lots of being knocked around, and less rounds through it in ten years than what I put down range in a month.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I traded my old 870P Magnum w/SF Forend today for a Browning Citori O/U. It was a workhorse for the short time it was mine. I only got $300 for it, so hopefully you can find some out there for a reasonable price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I traded my old 870P Magnum w/SF Forend today for a Browning Citori O/U. It was a workhorse for the short time it was mine. I only got $300 for it, so hopefully you can find some out there for a reasonable price.
    Completely off topic, the Citori is a pretty damn good gun for the money. Have a metric **** ton of rounds through one. Like literally, over a metric ton of lead down range.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I would look for a 870Police or Wingmaster (same thing except for finish, I believe) and avoid any Express model- they are budget guns. For what it’s worth, we’ve received several new 870P’s over the last few years and haven’t had any issues. I prefer Scattergun Tech ghost rings, a Surefire fore end light, side saddle and VTAC sling on a patrol shotgun.

Feedback Score
    Something like this might be a good place to start. Summit Gun Broker used to always have trade in 870's in stock but none are listed right now. If you're in Austin, GT Distributors might have some used ones available.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718621848

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Something like this might be a good place to start. Summit Gun Broker used to always have trade in 870's in stock but none are listed right now. If you're in Austin, GT Distributors might have some used ones available.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/718621848
    Another option is sportsman warehouse.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...rand/REMINGTON

They have some listed as instock. Though the price is a bit higher than I would like to pay.

Feedback Score
    You didn't mention any upper limit on price, so I'll toss this into the mix.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/border-patrol/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast