Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Patrol Shotgun Needed

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    We replaced some 20 shotguns a few years ago. We bought what looks like the 870P Max on the Remington website. Ours have 14 inch barrels but like most LE shotguns are carried in the cruisers and only fired during quals. We have not had any issues with them. David

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    The dimples are easily removed
    The dimples are gone on the newer models, no?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I guess I am responsible for not reading the OP closely enough and starting the M4 sideswipe.

In fairness if a patrol shotgun is limited to only an 870 I don’t understand the purpose of the post or the title.

The choice is pretty clear, get an 870.

Maybe this is one of those paid by Remington posts designed to advertise the 870?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I guess I am responsible for not reading the OP closely enough and starting the M4 sideswipe.

In fairness if a patrol shotgun is limited to only an 870 I don’t understand the purpose of the post or the title.

The choice is pretty clear, get an 870.

Maybe this is one of those paid by Remington posts designed to advertise the 870?
    Reading the original post, the gentleman is asking it's it's okay to go with an 870 Express, or should he get an 870P.

Considering that one can get a used 870P for $300, I'd buy the used gun and replace some springs.

I have no clue why things got sidetracked.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

That happens.

In the OP he said he was limited to an 870 and wasn't that familiar with them. His question was would the Express Tactical be okay, as it was set up the way he wanted, or should he get a Police Model.

IMO the only shills on the thread were those telling him to buy/send it to VangComp or Wilson.

ETA Just in behind serious student.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the conversation here, even the M4 photos. Got an 870P.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCASTLE View Post
    I appreciate the conversation here, even the M4 photos. Got an 870P.
    Just now seeing this thread, but I think you made the right choice. Mine is a few years old but I bought an Express Tactical thinking that surely the Internet hype of them having issues was overblown. It wasn’t. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another Remington product again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Just now seeing this thread, but I think you made the right choice. Mine is a few years old but I bought an Express Tactical thinking that surely the Internet hype of them having issues was overblown. It wasn’t. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another Remington product again.
    I have an 870 Police (from a few years back), which is one of my bed guns (Ithaca 37 is the other, for her), but just picked up a TAC-14. I believe the TAC-14 is pretty much a short Express... poly trigger guard, magazine with dimples, etc. Completely stripped it the other day, and didn’t notice any issues at all. CQ is bad, but you still find good 870s reaching the buyer. If it’s bad, make them fix it.

I was considering the Police trigger assembly, but it really isn’t worth it. My Police was redone in NP3 Plus, and when I was talking to Robar, the guy working on it pretty much said that he can’t plate the trigger guard because it is “pretty much pot metal.” Not a standard alloy, being Robar has no problem playing those (my S&W 642-1 is an alloy framed revolver, which they had at the same time). Having the poly assembly on my TAC-14, I wouldn’t worry about it... and if I had a choice, I’d go poly (cleaned the mold marks with a Dremel, and all good).

Was talking with a member on another forum, and actually decided to order a +1 extension from Wilson Combat (the one with the sling stud on the extension... not the one that could be on three positions and touching the barrel). Whenever that backorder comes in, I’ll have a XS detent swage and a cheap 1” scope ring (keep the tube from deforming) to remove those dimples.

Will have 5+1, hopefully have the barrel threaded for chokes by Rose Action Sports, and then send it out for plating.

Feedback Score
    Seen a few 870 Express with firing pins frozen in the bolt from lousy powder coat jobs. Pull trigger, no bang.

Grab an older 870P, throw new furniture on it and a mag extension and roll with it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234