Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patrol Shotgun Needed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m more hesitant with new Remington firearms... won’t touch their pistols at all. But I just picked up a TAC-14 the other day. Went over it before I started the paperwork on it.

It is a very different Remington than the one that made my two 11-87s, 870 Police, and Model Seven.

While it isn’t the best shotgun, there isn’t anything wrong with it. I tend to swap out some parts on a new shotgun... this one will not be any different (follower, likely the extractor).

Looking it over is big, but so is knowing what to look for.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I’d buy a used Wingmaster and send it off to Vang Comp
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 11-19-17 at 07:11.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    One thing on the Express models: If you desire an aftermarket extended magazine, it wont work (without some modification to the mag tube). The express magazine tube cap is held in place with a plastic plug. The plastic plug is held in place by dents in the mag tube. The dents in the mag tube prevent tounds grom sliding into an extended mag tube. So if you eventually want an extended magazine, get an 870P or a Wingmaster. That mag cap is held in place by a ball and detent on the barrel, and not by a plastic plug ( a method that restricts the radius of the magazine, thus effectively limiting the capacity).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The dimples are easily removed

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No mossberg 500 love?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy View Post
    No mossberg 500 love?
    OP stated that it HAS to be an 870

Feedback Score
    I purchased an express for a short barrel shotgun project I'm doing. The extractor and internal springs are all easily replaced with heavy duty versions, parts are available from Midway/Brownells.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP what state are you in? A LGS here has 870 Marine Magnums for $375. Obviously police trades. Looked ok but I'm not a shotgun guy.

As for used/Police trade guns.....that's practically all I have. None look pretty but all work like new. Exterior looks are superficial and don't say anything about actual function

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1. Not knowing what type of work the OP does, I'll assume an 870 with an 18.5" barrel will suffice.
    2. Things to consider:

-repair or warranty support as a personally owned weapon. GalleryofGuns.com has a repair or replacement warranty. I've never needed to use it, yet it's there. I have used Remington/Marlin's warranty service and it was a PITA (pain in the ass) to use as it had to be picked up by UPS, no bringing it to UPS at my convenience, and it had to be later delivered back to me for a signature. With this UPS service, it's up to UPS to show up at its convenience, not yours. This may be fine if you have a work address to use with someone always there, at least during weekday business hours. As the 870 is specified by somebody, perhaps your employer will take care of any/all possible warranty or breakage issues.

-sights: besides any future RMR/red-dot, such as bead, rifle, or ghost-ring.

-stocks & forends: brand, model, style.

-finish: Parkerized, painted, color, rust-resistance.

-other accessories: sling, side-saddles, lights.

My basis for an 870P started out from the Remington 870P Max: http://www.galleryofguns.com

Then I personalized it from there with a different stock, side-saddles, and sling. I see this model is going for ~$1300 nowadays.

Here's another company I've heard about which seems to be a one-person operation, but has some presence on other forums:
    https://www.aiptactical.com

The owner of the business may have some strong personal opinions so do be sure what you want or you might end up with what he'd want instead.

I also like Post#10's WilsonCombat suggestion.
    Last edited by L-2; 11-20-17 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    The dimples are easily removed
    True. Just something to be aware of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast