Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SIG553 LB

Feedback Score
    Accuracy is kind of hard to judge with an aimpoint and various bulk ammo. I’d say right now 2 Moa. There’s a lot of shooter involved there too. Also I put a surefire legacy bird cage on it Andi don’t think that helped anything was probably closer to 1.5 moa before.

Reliability wise I have about 3.5 k through it the first two mags of wolf gold wouldn’t lock back the bolt on the last round. Then I had a badly corroded Guatemalan round stick in the chamber. Then one time when my buddy was shooting it failed to feed the second round out of a mag. I’m convinced he didn’t have the mag locked in place.

So depending on how you count them 0 to 4 malfunctions in 3.5 k of various ammo

So

Feedback Score
    Most of that with a can btw

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    553s are typically 1moa at 100 yds with match ammo. Next range outing I will see about using a variable optic and 77gr OTM to get some groups.

As for reliability, Swiss 55x are well known for this. The Swiss conducted extensive reliability tests during development of the 550. Granted, much of this had to do with colt weather testing, but dust, mud, etc were included. Search the web and you’ll find detailed reports re: the 550 test protocol. It is impressive.

I have never had a failure in any of my 551s, 552s, or 553. My 16” barrel 551 and LE trade-in 552 get babied and are in the relative safe queen category. My 551 sbr sees infrequent use, mainly because I like my 553 setup so much. My other 552 (actually an early 556 converted to true 552 spec) and 553 are not babied. My 553 is a constant range companion.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-29-17 at 12:03.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    553s are typically 1moa at 100 yds with match ammo. Next range outing I will see about using a variable optic and 77gr OTM to get some groups.

As for reliability, Swiss 55x are well known for this. The Swiss conducted extensive reliability tests during development of the 550. Granted, much of this had to do with colt weather testing, but dust, mud, etc were included. Search the web and you’ll find detailed reports re: the 550 test protocol. It is impressive.

I have never had a failure in any of my 551s, 552s, or 553. My 16” barrel 551 and LE trade-in 552 get babied and are in the relative safe queen category. My 551 sbr sees infrequent use, mainly because I like my 553 setup so much. My other 552 (actually an early 556 converted to true 552 spec) and 553 are not babied. My 553 is a constant range companion.
    Thanks Josh. Considering you are with B&T it gives you some credibility. I would love to see some longer barreled B&Ts in this country.

Feedback Score
    Did you guys notice JDI is now using the import marking “SAN imports” instead of JDI firearms👍

Feedback Score
    That and steel lowers makes these pretty much the best 553s yet

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    Thanks Josh. Considering you are with B&T it gives you some credibility. I would love to see some longer barreled B&Ts in this country.
    I am an unapologetic fully indoctrinated SIG 55x fan. I have been collecting and shooting the Swiss 55x since '02. The 551/552/553 is my favorite legacy rifle series. For some reason the 550 has never appealed to me though; I am just not a big fan of 20" barreled 5.56 (or 7.62) mm rifles. The 551 and 553 are in my opinion the penultimate refinement of the AK. I love shooting the 551 and 553. I *need* to pick up a railed receiver 553-2 LB and railed receiver 551-2 short barrel. Only so many pennies in the penny jar unfortunately.

As for longer barreled B&Ts, I too want to see these...like now. Patience. They are coming eventually. And that's all I can say about that.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-29-17 at 23:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 68ar15 View Post
    Did you guys notice JDI is now using the import marking “SAN imports” instead of JDI firearms��

Well, crap. Now you did it.

Feedback Score
    As Josh said, the standards on these rifles in terms of accuracy and reliability are well known. They run and run. I caught the 55X bug a couple of years back. I have a Sig 550 SP2, a Sig 553 (pic rail, SBR, B&T rail, 4 position plug) that sports a Steiner 1-4, a Sig 551 pistol (diopter sights, B&T optics rail), a Sig 553R on order (stamp in hand) and a US Sig 551 A1 with swiss furniture, lower, welded on rail and sights... I need to take the US one apart and post of some pics so y'all can tell me what the hell I have. I also cleaned Ratworx out of their 25 dollar Sig 550 mags - all 44 of them.

The Sig 553 with 77 grain Razor Core was easily able to hit a 4 inch sided square of steel at 100 yards. All day long. I will through a high power scope on it next time and see whats what. In my opinion, it makes an excellent "pistol/sbr". Accurate, reliable, tiny and easy to deploy. I said "excellent" and not perfect. The minor bitch I have is the 51T AAC flash suppressor that I use to run my SND6 prevents the recoil assembly from being removed from the gun. Not a huge deal, but still a drag. In general this gun feels like it was designed to be small - it doesn't feel like a large gun that has been shrunk.

The Sig 551 pistol currently has the San Swiss M4 adaptor and an SB tactical brace on it. It is very nearly as good as a stock. I personally love the size and feel of this gun. I have put a sight rail on it (from B&T) and will move my Steiner to it, will add a rail section for a light, and call it good. I suspect that this will be my favorite "high volume" 5.56 gun. It is a perfect size. Its also gorgeous.

High hopes for the 553 R, but we'll see if it ever arrives. It is about 18 months late now. The good news is that it will seem like a free rifle, as I paid for it so long ago. If it works, if its reliable, and if its accurate, this seems like an ideal 150 yard do everything rifle.

Finally the 550 SP2. Yes, it is a huge 5.56, but it better balanced than a Galil AR/ARM. It is simply a gorgeous, accurate, reliable rifle. Has a 2 to 10 scope on it and will shoot 77 grain stuff lights out. I need to do some serious groups with it, but it is easily an MOA gun. It also has a certain cache. Most folks haven't actually seen one so it draws a crowd. It is the only "people" rifle I have that gets babied a bit. The SP2 is the way to go if you are going to pony up the money (about 10 grand). Is it worth se14 Colt 6920s? Probably not. Get one or more of those first.

There are some oddities across the line:
    1) the trigger mechanisms are slightly different - even between the recent build 551 and 553.
    2) the sling loops that are welded into the receivers are not consistent. Some have them on both sides, some only on one. As a left handed shooter, that is a pain.
    3) the flash suppressors are different. The 553 has a removable. My 550 has a military barrel and gas block and will take the bayonet. My new 551 will not take the Gemtech Halo Suppressor. Unlike the old 551's the flash suppressor is slightly different. As its integral to the barrel, that is a shame.
    4) The clip together magazines are awesome but make carrying them in web gear a pain.

Overall though, I love this line of rifles. The same way that you can look at a Webley revolver, an Enfield, or an SA80 and go "only the british...", you can handle a Swiss rifle and go "oh, this wasn't made to a price point. This was built by a craftsman".

One of these days this winter, I will take the whole swiss family to the range, run them back to back against ARs, and measure some timed drills and accuracy. It will be interesting to see whether they live up to the hype.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice post with lots of good info.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast