Thread: Learning to shoot a handgun well!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Learning to shoot a handgun well!

My story...

After years of picking up bad handgun shooting habits and leaving the range dejected because I couldn't shoot a decent group I gave up! I would get invites to the range and I would make excuses as to why I couldn't go. Well, thing have changed now. A group of avid shooter friends took me under their wings and schooled me. Listed below are a few things that have helped me.

1. Get rid of all the unnecessary aftermarket gimmick crap hanging off your gun.
    2. Install good sights where the sight picture is clear for your eyes.
    3. Limit yourself to one handgun per range visit until you master it.
    4. Use one ammo brand per range session, different ammo manufactures tend to have different POA to POI that will drive you crazy.
    5. Don't chase POI or you will be all over the target.
    6. Master 7 yards before you move to 10 yards.
    7. Learn to hold the gun.
    8. Choose a shooting stance that works with your body ergonomics.
    9. practice controlled breathing while shooting.
    10. When not at the range dry fire it as much as possible (in a safe direction with an unloaded handgun observing muzzle awareness).

There are other good tips but the ones I listed are the ones that help me the most. One thing I learned is there are few natural born "Good shooters", most become good after 1000's of rounds down range. There is no substitute for practice. I may not post a lot but I do spend hours here reading and you'll have been a help too.

As a reward to myself I bought a new gun!

Glock 19 OD with the following upgrades;
    4.5lbs Factory Glock connector
    Heinie SlantPro Straight Eight sights
    Imforce APLc light

Last edited by 5.56Geo; 11-18-17 at 10:26.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
    My story...

After years of picking up bad handgun shooting habits and leaving the range dejected because I couldn't shoot a decent group I gave up! I would get invites to the range and I would make excuses as to why I couldn't go. Well, thing have changed now. A group of avid shooter friends took me under their wings and schooled me. Listed below are a few things that have helped me.

1. Get rid of all the unnecessary aftermarket gimmick crap hanging off your gun.
    2. Install good sights where the sight picture is clear for your eyes.
    3. Limit yourself to one handgun per range visit until you master it.
    4. Use one ammo brand per range session, different ammo manufactures tend to have different POA to POI that will drive you crazy.
    5. Don't chase POI or you will be all over the target.
    6. Master 7 yards before you move to 10 yards.
    7. Learn to hold the gun.
    8. Choose a shooting stance that works with your body ergonomics.
    9. practice controlled breathing while shooting.
    10. When not at the range dry fire it as much as possible (in a safe direction with an unloaded handgun observing muzzle awareness).

There are other good tips but the ones I listed are the ones that help me the most. One thing I learned is there are few natural born "Good shooters", most become good after 1000's of rounds down range. There is no substitute for practice. I may not post a lot but I do spend hours here reading and you'll have been a help too.

As a reward to myself I bought a new gun!

Glock 19 OD with the following upgrades;
    4.5lbs Factory Glock connector
    Heinie SlantPro Straight Eight sights
    Imforce APLc light
    Not trying to be a dick, but how did you define that? What objective metrics used? Some may think that slow fire and one ragged hole = mastery and so forth. Then there's the Q, mastery for what and of what? Accuracy for target shooting, CQB? Other? I'd probably use the term "proficient" and then define that. Is that from concealment? Etc, etc. Some valid tips for sure (and I'm far from a BTDT fire arms trainer BTW) but I'd say some revisions needed before it's ready for prime time.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^^^^^^^

The term "Master" is a relative term, most people understand that. I know of only one Master and the rest of us are Grasshoppers!

My point is start small before you move on to bigger. Be good at 7 yards before you try and be good at 10 yards.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I'd say this guy can help you get a good foundation with your pistol shooting. Jerry Miculek goes over basic and advanced techniques that are sure to make you a better pistol shooter. Complete with high speed demonstrations of grip techniques. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSazF41q-s&t=224s
    Last edited by Biggy; 11-18-17 at 13:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Your points sound just fine to me. Work on accuracy first, and then add speed.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower