Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts for an active shooter rig

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thoughts for an active shooter rig

The recent church shooter has brought me back to an old idea I had let go a while back, the all inclusive grab and go chest rig. I️ mostly abandoned this idea due to things I️ had read on the internet, which weren’t 100% wrong but also neglected to take into account that the mission drives the gear train and while some ideas may be less than ideal in some regards, those same ideas are excellent in others. After the judicious application of some simple thought common sense, I’ve realized this old idea is actually pretty damn good.

The church shooter reiterated my idea that I️ need to have a way to quickly get into the fight with a long gun and appropriate gear; spare mags, hand gun, handheld light and knife. Seven years ago I️ wanted something that could do this and the Eagle Ind/SKD Chest rig fit this idea perfectly. This gives one the ability to throw on up to six rifle mags, a handgun, 2 spare pistol mags, folding knife and hand held light. All this in a light weight, secure, easy to don/doff package that can have you out the door in under 30 seconds.

As a firefighter and civilian, I’m not always in fighting gear, in fact I’m never in fighting gear. On my off days, depending on what I’m doing my attire is usually jeans and a t shirt or gym shorts and a t shirt and a pair of Vans. When someone is outside your house wrecking shit, there’s no time to kit up with a base belt and battle belt as I️ may not even be in pants with belt loops, not to mention that takes valuable time and my battle belt without base belt is no where as secure as my chest rig. The chest rig offers the ability to carry everything I️ need, securely, while wearing nothing more than gym shorts and a pair of shoes.

I️ used to keep this setup at hand until vest mounted holsters went out of style, and I️ absolutely understand why. The disadvantages are numerous and advantages limited, however, those disadvantages are, in my opinion, vastly outweighed by the pros in this very limited application.

The disadvantages being a slower, more awkward draw stroke as well as no ability to have a second line system. In a perfect world I️ would prefer to run a second line belt with my secondary weapon, 1 primary mag, 2 secondary mags and a light and knife on the belt for the ability to drop my chest rig or pc and still remain armed, however, a reaction to an active shooter will most likely involve only one or a few assailants and will be fast and violent, thus the lack of need to potentially ditch your first line and have a second line to remain armed.

The pros of this system are that you can get into the fight quicker with all the essentials. Vest mounted secondary arms can also be quicker or easier to access when working in a vehicle.

The picture is sort of a mock up of sorts as I️ don’t have a holster solution for the G19 yet. The G19 does not fit in the pocket very well (sits too deep, nothing solid to protect trigger) so I’ve decided to adapt an AIWB holster to fit in the pocket. I’m going to get in touch with JM Custom Kydex to see if he can brew me up one of his AIWB holsters for a G19 with X-300. I’ll sew some Velcro to the inside of the pocket and attach some on the outside of the holster to secure it in place. This will both offer safety as well as bringing the handgun up slightly farther to make it possible to achieve a better grip during draw.

As I said earlier, this setup has its drawbacks, however, in this limited application, I feel it’s a solid idea. I️t gives me the ability to grab my rifle, rig, trauma bag and be out the door in well under a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'd be scared someone would mistake me for the bad guy if I was wearing that...and potentially shot or shot at me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMM View Post
    I'd be scared someone would mistake me for the bad guy if I was wearing that...and potentially shot or shot at me.
    You have sound logic there, however, anyone with a gun can be mistaken for the shooter. This is a bit of a side not but the Texas shooter is one instance that reinforces my emphasis on not looking too “tactical” during some sort of crisis. I️ think the less “tactical” type gear you have on the better. The church shooter was wearing the full giddy up, hence, wearing gym shorts and a t shirt makes you look much less like perpetrator, unlike someone dressed head to toe in Crye.

I️ read an article a while back by Pat McNamara on the topic and he stated that he includes a neon safety vest in his active shooter kit to set him self apart from a shooter.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Being in a recognizable uniform (e.g. police) is the best way to not become a target. I suppose the neon vest is better than nothing, but even displaying a police shield can be overlooked and the bearer fired upon (I have seen this numerous times in training scenarios, unfortunately). I think you are on the right path though- my outer carrier is set up with IFAK, extra touriqets, two 30-rd mags, radio and extra flashlight for just such an occasion. It and my rifle are alwasys within reach while on duty.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Thoughts for an active shooter rig

The man who put down the Texas POS wasn't mistaken for a bad guy. I'm sure the lengthy car chase while on the phone with 911 helped. The police actually told him twice to hold his position and not put his AR down. Being carwpis important. Being able to do something is even more important. I like the vest setup. . This is what I'd reach for in the middle of the night. The bandoleer holds 4 AR Mags and 2 Glock mags. The gun has 20 rounds in it.

Last edited by usmcvet; 11-18-17 at 22:45.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    The recent church shooter has brought me back to an old idea I had let go a while back, the all inclusive grab and go chest rig.

The church shooter reiterated my idea that I️ need to have a way to quickly get into the fight with a long gun and appropriate gear; spare mags, hand gun, handheld light and knife. Seven years ago I️ wanted something that could do this and the Eagle Ind/SKD Chest rig fit this idea perfectly. This gives one the ability to throw on up to six rifle mags, a handgun, 2 spare pistol mags, folding knife and hand held light. All this in a light weight, secure, easy to don/doff package that can have you out the door in under 30 seconds.

As a firefighter and civilian, I’m not always in fighting gear, in fact I’m never in fighting gear. On my off days, depending on what I’m doing my attire is usually jeans and a t shirt or gym shorts and a t shirt and a pair of Vans. When someone is outside your house wrecking shit, there’s no time to kit up with a base belt and battle belt as I️ may not even be in pants with belt loops, not to mention that takes valuable time and my battle belt without base belt is no where as secure as my chest rig. The chest rig offers the ability to carry everything I️ need, securely, while wearing nothing more than gym shorts and a pair of shoes.

I️ used to keep this setup at hand until vest mounted holsters went out of style, and I️ absolutely understand why. The disadvantages are numerous and advantages limited, however, those disadvantages are, in my opinion, vastly outweighed by the pros in this very limited application.
    I keep a very basic chest rig in my vehicle for the same thought pattern. Mine will interface with my daily AIWB.
    Highly unlikely scenario but a long gun and a few magazines in chest rig are simply going to be more effective than a simple spare 20rounder in your back pocket and mini maglite on the key chain.

As for the fratricide risk... That simply goes with the territory. Best you can hope for is someone calling the "good guy" into dispatch. If they relay the info, there is at best a 50 percent it even registers with the responding officers who will be rolling in jocked up. That is part of the calculus you should have determined for your play in scenario well ahead of time.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    cheap and easy:

use a 3 pouch shoulder bandoleer/mag bag to hold a med kit & 4 magazines

large fanny pack

2 mags coupled together on the gun

$$$:
    plate carrier with plates, med kit on the side, 3-6 mags on the carrier
    (if you're going into a fight, be armored)

ballistic helmet

coupled mags on rifle

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    G19 in a holster can be looped through molle with Safariland system. heavier and $$, but more secure

you're not a fan, but a decent battle belt will handle all your pistol stuff easy + med kit

Feedback Score
    A neon vest is an interesting idea. There's a couple guys on YouTube that have snuck in concerts and other venues with a vest from Home Depot/Lowes. Never thought about adding one but I may!

I also see the need to have stuff readily available and your kit does just that. I just thought I'd promote the conversation as to thoughts about having what you need and not looking like you don't belong too. I don't have that answer by the way...lol And maybe there isn't one but I'd rather survive and if that means potentially standing out too then I'd be all for it!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post

The pros of this system are that you can get into the fight quicker with all the essentials. Vest mounted secondary arms can also be quicker or easier to access when working in a vehicle.
    That rig looks sharp, but it might raise a few blue-haired eyebrows at MY church. You might want to sit up in the balcony, with the organist, while wearing that.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast