Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts for an active shooter rig

Feedback Score
    A reflective vest is not a bad idea. In a RECOIL article, Pat Mac states that he carries a "SECURITY" vest in his vehicle with his gear in the event he needs to gun up.

Honestly, with that much gear, have you considered a battle-belt setup? It'll be faster to don, much lower profile, and you can attach a holster as well. Honestly, 1 spare rifle mag and two spare pistol mags will give you ~ 100 rounds...if you find yourself needing more than that, then you're in a very bad situation.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    How many rounds are you going to need in that grab and go situation? How many rounds did the guy fire stopping the church shooter----that might be an indication. If he grabbed his AR and a couple mags out of a range bag, wouldn't that have been enough? It seems to me ratcheting up to a chest rig would involve a larger threat.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    How many rounds are you going to need in that grab and go situation? How many rounds did the guy fire stopping the church shooter----that might be an indication. If he grabbed his AR and a couple mags out of a range bag, wouldn't that have been enough? It seems to me ratcheting up to a chest rig would involve a larger threat.
    We can't prepare based on just the last threat. Grabbing a long gun and a few mags is a good idea. A belt, vest or bandoleer would all work well. I used to carry my rifle and web gear on duty most of the time. There were times when I only carried an ammo bandoleer full of magazines with my rifle. I don't have a chest rig. I have bandoliers and duty belts. I'm not using a belt unless I have lots of time. I'm grabbing my rifle and a bandolier if I have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If your waistline is right for it, a battle belt is fast and secure enough, and holds enough stuff. If you are going to wear any sort of chest rig instead, I would jump straight to a plate carrier. And I would be wearing my highlighter jacket from work, because eff getting shot by the good guys. More realistically, my go gear is whatever I’m wearing on my hip at the onset of the incident.

Don’t trust a call center/dispatch to relay anything that will prevent you from being shot. Besides, how different from the bad guy do you really think you will look? Can you describe the difference over the phone quickly and clearly? Remember, the call center will be receiving multiple calls and relaying to dispatchers that may have to deal with elevated radio traffic. I know that my dispatchers commonly omit info that could be critical to my safety. Happens around weekly, and we’re not even talking about some large scale incident. Its not that they suck, its just the nature of the game. And the LEO’s will be amped up, possibly with paranoid fingers. Also let’s not forget that the bad guy might well be reading this site, gathering intel. Make a plan for how to act when the good guys show up, but expect to miss noting their arrival. Me, I’ll be on the ground, unless I have direct radio contact.

I’m not saying you are wrong to help; I certainly would, if the situation allows. Just want to remind you that you might die if you do.

Side note: I avoid crowded places when possible. It is the simplest solution, for me.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If your waistline is right for it, a battle belt is fast and secure enough, and holds enough stuff. If you are going to wear any sort of chest rig instead, I would jump straight to a plate carrier. And I would be wearing my highlighter jacket from work, because eff getting shot by the good guys. More realistically, my go gear is whatever I’m wearing on my hip at the onset of the incident.

Don’t trust a call center/dispatch to relay anything that will prevent you from being shot. Besides, how different from the bad guy do you really think you will look? Can you describe the difference over the phone quickly and clearly? Remember, the call center will be receiving multiple calls and relaying to dispatchers that may have to deal with elevated radio traffic. I know that my dispatchers commonly omit info that could be critical to my safety. Happens around weekly, and we’re not even talking about some large scale incident. Its not that they suck, its just the nature of the game. And the LEO’s will be amped up, possibly with paranoid fingers. Also let’s not forget that the bad guy might well be reading this site, gathering intel. Make a plan for how to act when the good guys show up, but expect to miss noting their arrival. Me, I’ll be on the ground, unless I have direct radio contact.

I’m not saying you are wrong to help; I certainly would, if the situation allows. Just want to remind you that you might die if you do.

Side note: I avoid crowded places when possible. It is the simplest solution, for me.
    Yeah I'm thinking of something happening while at home or my immediate neighborhood. Out in the world it's whatever I'm carrying which is a 9mm shield and a spare mag or two. There are more spare mags in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Some good inputs here, and for sure, the one thing to be concerned with is NOT being mistaken for the initial shooter...

I am still trying to work out a good solution for a long gun that's easy to pack and carry for me, since I cannot simply keep one in my vehicle due to the fact I work on a military base. I can tell you that I did put together a simple pistol bag for my daughter who rarely carries (even though she has a CHL) since she can keep it in her vehicle. She keeps it stuffed under her passenger seat. It's as much in case she breaks down late at night on the way home as for an active shooter...

IMG_2006.jpg

With that in mind, my first thought to prepping my vehicle for an active shooter scenario was to build a solid trauma bag that I keep in my vehicle. It just made sense to have gear and supplies on hand to try and help those who need immediate life saving attention that would be dead by the time the first responders arrived.

I put this together initially, and have since added a total of 4 tourniquets (2 CAT, 1 SWAT-T, 1 RATS), 6 packs of "quick clot", and two sets of chest seals:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJTH0DA..._detail_1?th=1

I keep them, along with a bunch of other supplies like nitrile gloves, gauze, provide, bandages, duct tape, etc. in a red LA Police Gear bail out bag

https://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

IMG_0010.jpg

FTR, both bags were bought on sale and are LA Police Gear.com bags, which I have found to be very well made and prices are excellent, especially when combined with their recurring 10-15% off sales and free shipping.

YMMV...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 11-20-17 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've been looking hard at the Spiritus systems chest rig for this application. It's small and uses velcro instead of PALs for it's modularity. It also comes in gray. I wish someone would come up with a rig like this that completely hid the rifle mags.
    http://spiritussystems.com/shop-all/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Being in a recognizable uniform (e.g. police) is the best way to not become a target. I suppose the neon vest is better than nothing, but even displaying a police shield can be overlooked and the bearer fired upon (I have seen this numerous times in training scenarios, unfortunately). I think you are on the right path though- my outer carrier is set up with IFAK, extra touriqets, two 30-rd mags, radio and extra flashlight for just such an occasion. It and my rifle are alwasys within reach while on duty.
    I've been a cop for 10 years and I always keep a department issued bright yellow traffic safety vest in my car for multiple reasons, but most importantly because that is what I'm throwing on in the event of an active shooter. We run multiple large scale training scenarios every year and the safety monitors are always wearing a bright yellow traffic safety vest. In the event that coppers start showing up and someone gets tunnel vision I'm hoping they recognize the bright yellow traffic safety vest and don't shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12