Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about Optics with My SBR AR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thinking about Optics with My SBR AR

I keep going back and forth on optic choices and options for my SBR AR. I have a BCM with a 11.5" barrel, etc. and I also have a suppressor for it. I enjoy shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed, though my shooting mates certainly perfer it suppressed.

Here's my question. I have an Aimpoint T-2 on it and that remains my primary optic of choice. I also have an Aimpoint 3X magnifier that I can throw on it for that magnification option, but I don't find myself using it that much, except for drills where we are moving and shooting from 150 yards, bounding in teams, toward our final objectives and targets.

The rifle currently has a Daniel Defense older model quad rail system on it which adds considerably to the weight of the whole rig, but when I throw the suppressor on and the 3X Aimpoint mag it's a heavy beast, to tell the truth, fun for plinking at range, but a bit taxing for a whole weekend training cycle.

This rifle is my primary HD weapon and the one I'd grab in a genuine SHTF situation above all others, but I'm not sure if running it all the time with the 3X magnifier is that smart a choice.

Kind of going back and forth. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Accupower 1X8 from Sport Optic?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I would never sacrifice capability for comfort.

A T-2 zeroed at 50/200 with a 3x is an Easy Button 400y rifle with minimal effort. I'd keep that setup and rock on. The biggest benefit to the 3x is being able to PID targets beyond 100y.

In fact, until I jumped to the Razor 1-6, I was running a T-2 w/ G33 magnifier. Loved it.
    Last edited by GTF425; 11-19-17 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    GTF425, yes, that's definitely the point I'm leaning heavily toward, a case of better to have and not need, than need and not have. The 3X does allow me to use the "Bonden aiming" principle without too much hassle when I'm moving fast and don't have time to flip it back over and out of the way. I think I'll hang on to the 3X for now. Re. the PID factor...yup, thanks, that's another big plus.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If weight is the concern, I don’t think you’ll lose any by switching to a magnified optic- you may even gain. My USO SR-4C plus Bobro mount plus Aadmount caps is pushing two pounds by itself.

If your magnifier mount is QD, you wouldn’t have to run it all the time.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Can you offer any advice on how I can get my form 4 approved faster?

Quote Originally Posted by VALG17 View Post
    Long time reader of this forum, finally joined, and first post. But...thank you! I've been studying up on AR platforms and wanted to get something as close as possible to a Colt M4 and so today took the plunge on this lower deal from Brownells, got it $20 off and free shipping, plus the 4% cash back from Active Junkie, then hopped on. Gunbroker and got the upper mentioned in this thread. Now I just have decide on a handguard and I'm all set with a genuine Colt AR! Many thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    @OutlanderSystems ... no idea. Maybe try a manipulation of the space/time continuum?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    If your magnifier mount is QD, you wouldn’t have to run it all the time.
    Yes it is.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VALG17 View Post
    @OutlanderSystems ... no idea. Maybe try a manipulation of the space/time continuum?
    Is you’re life really so boring, empty and miserable that you have to lie about what type of guns and accessories you own on a washed up Internet forum to fulfill your self?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What in the world are you talking about? Nowhere have I lied about what I own. Why all the hate and hostility? Bad coffee? Bad hair day? LOL. I joined recently and indicated I wanted to get myself an AR that is as close to a Mil Spec M4 Carbine as possible. I nowhere said I owned no other gear. Weird, weird stuff from some apparently really wound up tightly folks. I appreciate the positives and will ignore the negatives. And, have a nice day.
    Last edited by VALG17; 11-19-17 at 10:57.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Throttle back- he was responding to Outlander Systems.
    Wound tightly indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast