Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building ar rifle tool questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    You don't need brass or polymer tipped punches, get Starrett pin punches along with some roll pin punches & roll pin holders.
    The Roll pin holders make life so much easier. Some masking tape can also help.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I lived in an appartment when I built my 1st. No place for a vise. I bolted it to a 3’ 2x8”, it worked well.
    Also, consider placing the lower into a gallon size ziplock bag when installing the pivot pin and detent. If it launches, the bag will retain the bits. A .250” clevis pin is also helpful.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    This is the bench I got: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Signatur...2X22/203083493
    The thickness is about a little over an inch. The description on the box says it's made strong enough for a vise. If it's too thin, I can screw on blocks of wood underneath the vise bolts to secure and reinforce the vise.
    I suggest that you cut several pieces of 3/4" plywood to fit under the top (each piece filling the inside of the frame). Glue all the filler boards together and then screw the package in place. This will significantly strengthen the top and let you apply some real torque to something in a vise that is bolted through both the top and the add-on board package.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    I lived in an appartment when I built my 1st. No place for a vise. I bolted it to a 3’ 2x8”, it worked well.
    Also, consider placing the lower into a gallon size ziplock bag when installing the pivot pin and detent. If it launches, the bag will retain the bits. A .250” clevis pin is also helpful.
    Or you can get the correct tool, use it properly and save a Ziplock bag.
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod26488.aspx
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTEN_FRENZY View Post
    My vice isn't even mounted to anything. I just put my foot on the anvil portion to stabilize it. Super ghetto, but I don't have room for a workbench in my apartment.
    Mount it to a wooden plank, then get a big c clamp and clamp it to a table or counter.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Hi! Thanks for the reply.

This is the bench I got: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Signatur...2X22/203083493
    The thickness is about a little over an inch. The description on the box says it's made strong enough for a vise. If it's too thin, I can screw on blocks of wood underneath the vise bolts to secure and reinforce the vise.

This is the bench vise I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I picked a little pricey one for the stronger tensile strength and quality.

And this is the torque wrench I got: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-...=torque+wrench

I will shop for the AR armorer's tool and brass punch set early next month when I get back from China. I will probably get the magpul ar-15 armorer's wrench and get a polymer tipped brass punch set.
    That’s some nice equipment. I would plan on bracing underneath your table top for your vise. It would probably be ok but over time may cause an issue.

What size vise are you getting? I saw they have 4, 5, and 6”

Also I may be wrong, but brass punches aren’t strong enough. I went through some steel punches before I broke down and bought the Starrett’s. It’s not just hammering pins in that you will use them., which case the brass would work, but you may need to punch out the pins on a FSP for example. Just my experience the Starrett’s are an excellent add to your toolkit. I haven’t bent one yet. (And I’ve bent a few). I’ve had a front sight post pins that were a bear to get out. Get you a roll of blue painters tape for taping around your roll pin holes.bill actually punch the tape over the roll pin. It doesn’t get in the way and of my punch slips a little I’m covered. Literally.

Did you check out that plastixrevolution kit I posted a link for? Honestly I can’t see working on my AR’s without it. It really is that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    That’s some nice equipment. I would plan on bracing underneath your table top for your vise. It would probably be ok but over time may cause an issue.

What size vise are you getting? I saw they have 4, 5, and 6”

Also I may be wrong, but brass punches aren’t strong enough. I went through some steel punches before I broke down and bought the Starrett’s. It’s not just hammering pins in that you will use them., which case the brass would work, but you may need to punch out the pins on a FSP for example. Just my experience the Starrett’s are an excellent add to your toolkit. I haven’t bent one yet. (And I’ve bent a few). I’ve had a front sight post pins that were a bear to get out. Get you a roll of blue painters tape for taping around your roll pin holes.bill actually punch the tape over the roll pin. It doesn’t get in the way and of my punch slips a little I’m covered. Literally.

Did you check out that plastixrevolution kit I posted a link for? Honestly I can’t see working on my AR’s without it. It really is that good.

I got the 6 inch version, a little bigger wouldn’t hurt. I’ll look into the starret set. I didn’t see your platixrevolution link. I’ll google it.

Feedback Score
    I got my vise and torque wrench today. This my current set up. Unfortunately that’s the closest to the corner I can get without hitting anything underneath.

I’ll see how this holds up, maybe the giant size of the washers on the bottom will make up for the thin-ness of the work bench top
    Last edited by heavygunner8; 11-22-17 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Building ar rifle tool questions

I got my vise and torque wrench today. This my current set up. Unfortunately that’s the closest to the corner I can get without hitting anything underneath.

I’ll see how this holds up, maybe the giant size of the washers on the bottom will make up for the thin-ness of the work bench top
    Looking good man!! Did you consider using a thick piece of steel? My Home Depot sells these pieces of flat steel. But they are very thick. I bought one and drilled holes in it. Then used that across the back row under the table and I think a piece on the front row. It distributed the pressure and I’ve had zero issues. It may be they can cut it for you also. But it definitely works. Just used a flat and lock washer underneath.

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 11-23-17 at 02:53.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00008IHTJ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0191RFK4I

This is the starret punch set and roll pin starter/holder set I bought like y’all recommended. These should be all I need for AR15 building forever right? I also got a tekton soft face mallet.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast