Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building ar rifle tool questions

Feedback Score

Building ar rifle tool questions

I'm in the process of buying tools to build my first ar pistol/sbr. I bought a wooden work bench from home depot, and in the process of shopping for tools online. I know I will need a bench vise, my questions are:

1. if this work bench and bench vise is purely for AR rifle building, do I need to mount vise near the edge of the work bench like most DIY people would suggest? It seems if I'm only using the vise and bench for AR work, it wouldn't matter where I mount it on the bench? Is a 5 inch vise sufficient for all AR building purposes?

2. punch set, torque wrench, AR armorer's wrench, magazine vice block, aero shell anti seize. Is this a complete list for what I will need to build my lower? I plan on buying a reaction rod and additional tools for upper building in the future, but for my first AR, I'm buying a complete upper.

If this is wrong subforum to post this, I apologize.
    Last edited by heavygunner8; 11-19-17 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What I did was pick up the Magpul BEV Block which doubles as a lower receiver block and barrel extension vice, and a Magpul armorer's wrench. Those two things along with a Brownells bolt catch roll pin punch (not entirely necessary) and a three pack normal punch set from Home Depot (1/16, 3/32, 1/8) and a small thing of the aero anti seize have gotten every job done that I've needed to do so far.

On the vice, I've got mine mounted on the corner of the bench and I can't complain about the placement so far.

I'm sure others have pro tips and things that make the job easier but if you're only building a couple of rifles and don't want to blow your whole was on tools, that'll get the job done for the most part.

ETA: a center punch for staking end plates will also be needed.

Feedback Score
    Hey,

I have the Bev Block and like it okay. I wish it was a little tighter, but I use it alot as a lower block. I also use the Geissele Reaction Block alot -which you have to be careful tightening the castle nut, because it will hold that tube perfectly still and the torque will transfer to the lower.

I would wait until Black Friday and buy the Geissele Armorer's kit. That's what I did, couldn't be happier. I wish I hadn't marred the finish on the reaction rod, because it's beautiful.

I would also recommend: Brownell's (or Grace) Roll Pin Punch set, Roll Pin Holder set, brass punch set, and steel punch set. The Brownell's bolt catch punch. A bench block. A delrin tipped brass hammer (I like the Brownell's premium). Electrical or painter's tape. Lot's of Aeroshell Grease. Old T-shirt. I wish I had a 1/4" wood dowel. Center punch.

I would recommend the center punch be 1/8" for staking the plate. I used a smaller diameter, but will use this from now on.

Edit: Oh, and I have the mapgul wrench which I am okay with. Teeth are short for my handguards.
    Last edited by Hulkstr8; 11-19-17 at 19:08.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Oh, I would add that a good armorer's course would be money well spent.

I built one with a local gunsmith, read a ton, and did all my builds myself. An armorer's course would have put my mind at easy, i.e. am I doing this right? Is this good enough? Does it look good?

I'm still working on mastering staking. I don't think I did a good job haha.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. As for the torque wrench a 1/2 in. 150 ft-lb tekton wrench should be sufficient right? More specifically this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    might be sacrilege but Harbor Freight Torque wrenches are good enough for the barrel nut tolerances AFAIK
    anyone have a bad experience with these?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    might be sacrilege but Harbor Freight Torque wrenches are good enough for the barrel nut tolerances AFAIK
    anyone have a bad experience with these?
    I miss going to Sears back in the 90s with my Dad when I was a kid. It's just sad now. I miss Craftsman.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I’ve used Grace and others punches. They all failed at some point.
    I use Starrett now and they are hands down the best punch set I’ve owned. I also have the BEV, but check out this set up. I use it on my LR-308 and it is just outstanding. Hey offer a mil discount if you’re proof service. Like I said I built my 308 using their 308 kit and I could not find a single fault. Their anti-torque plates are simple but ingenious. Honestly it was the best $50 bucks I spent on ANY tool. Since owning t I’ve rebuilt/modernized two more 308’s and it’s just awesome for working with upper or lower. Their trigger testing tool is also pretty slick.
    AR-15 kit: https://www.plastixrevolution.net/pr...ger-test-block

$49 and change.

Starrett Punch Set:
    https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-...CABEgJjkPD_BwE

A good hard plastic mallet. I also have some small super strong magnets I keep them stuck on my vise and when I’m working with small parts, I secure them to the little super magnet. Works like a champ for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My vice isn't even mounted to anything. I just put my foot on the anvil portion to stabilize it. Super ghetto, but I don't have room for a workbench in my apartment.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast