Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Building ar rifle tool questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    Could you give an example of how the wrench I picked might damage the gun? I’m guessing the half circle of that wrench might slip during tightening of the castle nut?
    I used to have the Smith Enterprises armorer's wrench and the DPMS armorer's wrench, they are basically the same for the barrel nut portion of the wrench as the one that you linked to. Those two wrenches would very stealthily bend the teeth on every standard barrel nut that I used them on.

I also have a 3 pin GI barrel wrench that is not much better.

My problems all vanished when I started using the barrel wrenches from 2UniqueLLC.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 11-25-17 at 08:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Could you give an example of how the wrench I picked might damage the gun? I’m guessing the half circle of that wrench might slip during tightening of the castle nut?

Used a cheep Tapco castle nut wrench. This was the second attempt. The first castle nut turned out worse because the wrench slipped off and tore up the notches.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    Used a cheep Tapco castle nut wrench. This was the second attempt. The first castle nut turned out worse because the wrench slipped off and tore up the notches.
    So who makes an open ended wrench that will work with a pistol receiver extension and no mar the castle nut?

I have a wrench like the OP posted and never had it leave any marks like yours did, would putting painters tape over the nut help?
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I started to use a cheapo ProMag open ended spanner style castle nut wrench on my pistol, but fortunately I noticed the teeth that engage the slot in the castle nut were too long would have torn up the thread on my brand new Vltor A5 pistol RE had tried to tight the nut, I aborted the mission and waited for my BCM barrel nut wrench to show up. I will never buy a piece of shit tool again, I knew better when I did it and that experience reaffirmed it.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    When I first signed up for this forum, I had no idea the folks here would be this helpful. Hdrolling saved me some money with the wrench. I almost ordered the magpul ar15 wrench from brownells, cancelled it after been advised it won't fit a pistol tube. I got this one instead:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...tool?a=1561616

I don't think spending $75 vs $17 is going to matter much, these things won't break in your life time.
    This weekend MagPul wrench are a lot cheaper than that and should be the tool every AR owner possesses as their standard armorer wrench, from there you branch out into your specialty wrenches such as PRI, BCM, Geissele. In your case the BCM barrel nut wrench will work and is a solid tool.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You're right. I'm just gonna have to deal with it on the left side now lol. Holes already drilled, everything is set up. Live and learn I guess. I don't plan on using this cheapo work bench permanently as my vise bench anyways, I'll buy a sturdier, better quality work bench in the future.
    I’m right handed but prefer to work my vise with my left hand and hold whatever I’m holding with my right hand. My first workbench had a right-side vise, but I found I preferred to spin the vise bar with my left and hold or manipulate whatever with my right. Give it shot you may find you prefer it as-is.
    Remember that as you go along you are going to figure out what you prefer and what works for you. It probably won’t be so apparent on AR #1, but by the 3rd or 4th, you’ll start coming into your own, figuring out what works best for you and what doesn’t..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456