Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building ar rifle tool questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTEN_FRENZY View Post
    My vice isn't even mounted to anything. I just put my foot on the anvil portion to stabilize it. Super ghetto, but I don't have room for a workbench in my apartment.
    you install barrel nut like that too?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTEN_FRENZY View Post
    My vice isn't even mounted to anything. I just put my foot on the anvil portion to stabilize it. Super ghetto, but I don't have room for a workbench in my apartment.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BTLXI8...detail_1?psc=1
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    You have a bench. It would make negative zero sense not to mount it.

I mount my vises on the edge, because there are times where I want to rotate my receiver, upper or lower at an angle or vertically, and if my vise is on the edge I allow myself clearance to do it. Does everyone e do that? Probably not, but it’s been handy at times and I’ve always been glad I mounted mine there. Plus and maybe the biggest most obvious advantage is that if you get a 4-4 1/2” vise and you mount it center bench or on the back it’s going to take forever to tighten your vise up. Especially if you’ve had your vise extended fully out. With it close to the edge you can get a full 360 degrees turn.

That reason alone is enough to mount forward close to the edge.

What table did you get? How thick is the table? Is it solid wood?
    Can you throw a link up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yep, on the floor. It's not hard at all. Being as flexible as gumby helps. If you have a bench, you should obviously mount it. No need to McGyver rig it like me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Adventurers in Vise Mounting

I have a floor mounted shop vise, plus a bench vise.

What I did was drill the holes for the vise in the center of the bench and use 't-nuts' and bolts to mount the vise. I was patient enough that I could center the handle for the jaw tightening screw and rotate it to tighten or loosen without too much drama or delay.

Problem was that at times it was hard to work around the vise in the middle of the bench. So I decided to move it to the right hand corner/edge of the bench. I mounted it the same way, using 't-nuts.'

I use a thick rubber mat made from conveyor belt material as a bench cover, and, of course I had four holes in the center of my bench. I got flat head socket screws and screwed them in. Now I can switch the vise back and forth if needed. Here's how it looks:

Attachment 48746Attachment 48747

After making the change a couple times I decided that I could speed things up by using a 1 foot piece of 2 x12 as a base and mount the vise on a 6 inch piece of 2x6 (using t-nuts) and then attaching that piece to the base. I then used c-clamps to clamp it down on the bench where I wanted. Didn't work that good so I'm back to moving the vise the slow way when needed.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-20-17 at 00:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I mounted a vice on the edge of a metal table that I welded together. Definitely invest in the reaction rod. A nice set of punches (proto brand made in usa), a armorers hammer (brownells one side brass one side delrin). A good extension castle nut wrench (I really like the multi tool from magpul)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    You have a bench. It would make negative zero sense not to mount it.

I mount my vises on the edge, because there are times where I want to rotate my receiver, upper or lower at an angle or vertically, and if my vise is on the edge I allow myself clearance to do it. Does everyone e do that? Probably not, but it’s been handy at times and I’ve always been glad I mounted mine there. Plus and maybe the biggest most obvious advantage is that if you get a 4-4 1/2” vise and you mount it center bench or on the back it’s going to take forever to tighten your vise up. Especially if you’ve had your vise extended fully out. With it close to the edge you can get a full 360 degrees turn.

That reason alone is enough to mount forward close to the edge.

What table did you get? How thick is the table? Is it solid wood?
    Can you throw a link up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi! Thanks for the reply.

This is the bench I got: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Signatur...2X22/203083493
    The thickness is about a little over an inch. The description on the box says it's made strong enough for a vise. If it's too thin, I can screw on blocks of wood underneath the vise bolts to secure and reinforce the vise.

This is the bench vise I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I picked a little pricey one for the stronger tensile strength and quality.

And this is the torque wrench I got: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-...=torque+wrench

I will shop for the AR armorer's tool and brass punch set early next month when I get back from China. I will probably get the magpul ar-15 armorer's wrench and get a polymer tipped brass punch set.
    Last edited by heavygunner8; 11-20-17 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    I also got this to build my lower receiver: https://www.squirreldaddy.com/AR-15-...p/sd20-101.htm

I seen some youtuber use it and it doesnt look too bad.

I will get a reaction rod later for upper building. For this AR, i got a complete upper.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I will shop for the AR armorer's tool and brass punch set early next month when I get back from China. I will probably get the magpul ar-15 armorer's wrench and get a polymer tipped brass punch set.
    You don't need brass or polymer tipped punches, get Starrett pin punches along with some roll pin punches & roll pin holders.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is some good info from a thread I started when I was first getting started, I'm very happy with the tools I've acquired so far.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-what-s-needed
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast