Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare AR parts quality?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    It looks like the last PSA lpk's I've installed when helping friends assemble lowers it's a given that the detente all need replaced because they're not to spec. Takedown pins tend to be hard to push out��*♂️. Pay the extra for known quality &
    Save the aggravation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    I tend to agree with ^Rb. I'm having a hard time believing there is a big difference (if any) between a 50 cent detent from WOA and a $2 detent from Colt/Sionics.

However, is there any resource for what metals/specs the small receiver parts should be made to?
    Nah, you're missing my point. There **IS** a difference between Colt LPK's and others, but under the circumstances where you'd actually need a spare, I doubt the difference would matter all that much and it wouldn't render your gun inoperable.

Example:

You have a Colt LE6920 (everything works great), and you have a shoot-day/course/whatever coming up. You wanna try this new-fangled A5 buffer system and Magpul grip; so you go to swap out the parts...

SHIT!!! You lose your safety detent and the spring/detent for your end plate. "But wait!! I have some spares.... oh no..... it's just some random spare I got off Brownells for 25 cents--not Colt brand."

"I guess I'll cancel my shoot-day/course because I can't stomach the idea of non-Colt detents/springs being in my lower!" << SAID NOBODY EVER

Feedback Score
    Alright. How do I go about accessing the difference between a Colt takedown detent and this one:

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sho...in-detent.html

What questions do I need to ask of the respective companies?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I cannot think where the quality of detent pins, takedown pins and related springs would affect function of an AR. But I can see where in the long term they can be a constant source of annoyance. I have a set of take down pins that have a sloppy fit and sometimes they don't line up like they should when reassembling the two halves. You gotta know the secret handshake.

When pricing small parts, keep in mind cost of shipping. Sometimes the more expensive parts are cheaper after adding the cost of shipping. Buy from a company you can have confidence in. WOA is one of those companies. Another thing to keep in mind- What's the difference going to matter if you pay $10 for a few spares, or $40, after you shoot up a couple of thousand rounds of ammo?

In my opinion, the most important spare you can buy is a complete BCG. That's what's most likely to stop the rifle and having a spare makes replacement easy.

If you want to get spare smalls, take a look at a kit like this
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod57595.aspx
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-20-17 at 13:01.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    When pricing small parts, keep in mind cost of shipping. Sometimes the more expensive parts are cheaper after adding the cost of shipping. Buy from a company you can have confidence in. WOA is one of those companies. Another thing to keep in mind- What's the difference going to matter if you pay $10 for a few spares, or $40, after you shoot up a couple of thousand rounds of ammo?
    Hey Mistwolf. First of all, I picked up the AR15M4 Colt extractors -one for each of my rifle bcg. I will work on getting a spare bcg.

I'm a bit confused on whether you think WOA is a quality company you can have confidence in or company that sells cheap parts?

Also, I hear mixed things about CMMG. I used their LPK on my rifles and didn't have any complaints. I ended up using all the springs/detents that came with my other parts like my safety selectors, takedowns, etc. I don't know if they're MIM or not - I emailed them that question, but they never got back to me.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ^Rb View Post
    Nah, you're missing my point. There **IS** a difference between Colt LPK's and others, but under the circumstances where you'd actually need a spare, I doubt the difference would matter all that much and it wouldn't render your gun inoperable.

Example:

You have a Colt LE6920 (everything works great), and you have a shoot-day/course/whatever coming up. You wanna try this new-fangled A5 buffer system and Magpul grip; so you go to swap out the parts...

SHIT!!! You lose your safety detent and the spring/detent for your end plate. "But wait!! I have some spares.... oh no..... it's just some random spare I got off Brownells for 25 cents--not Colt brand."

"I guess I'll cancel my shoot-day/course because I can't stomach the idea of non-Colt detents/springs being in my lower!" << SAID NOBODY EVER
    Keep in mind the selector/safety spring in the same as the ejector spring, that last thing I want is an el-cheap-o spring in my spare parts box that has the potential to find it's way into my bolt.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Keep in mind the selector/safety spring in the same as the ejector spring, that last thing I want is an el-cheap-o spring in my spare parts box that has the potential to find it's way into my bolt.
    I didn't know that. Makes sense now that I stop and think about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Hey Mistwolf. First of all, I picked up the AR15M4 Colt extractors -one for each of my rifle bcg. I will work on getting a spare bcg.

I'm a bit confused on whether you think WOA is a quality company you can have confidence in or company that sells cheap parts?

Also, I hear mixed things about CMMG. I used their LPK on my rifles and didn't have any complaints. I ended up using all the springs/detents that came with my other parts like my safety selectors, takedowns, etc. I don't know if they're MIM or not - I emailed them that question, but they never got back to me.
    I think you can have confidence in the WOA small parts. They work to keep their customers satisfied. They cater to National Match competitors, a group of shooters who can be very particular about equipment. I have no personal experience with WOA but they get good recommendations from shooters who do.

I don't think you'll have problems with the CMMG kit, but I cannot stay you won't. I used it as an example of a small parts kit that would cover what you're looking for.

It's good that you're thinking ahead, but don't get wrapped around the axle about small parts. It's good to have spares, but at this point it's a tertiary concern. Get ammo and mags and go shoot. Get a spare BCG. When you get a chance, pick up a few small spares and a parts box to kit them in. Spend less time sweating the small stuff.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Ok. Why is mil spec not mil spec? Either a part is manufactured to military specifications or it is not. And it follows that if Colt manufactures a part that is up to military specifications and Company x manufactures the same part to military specifications then one part is as good as the other. That's the whole point of military specifications. That's the whole point of interchangeability of parts. When the Army rebuilds a rifle it does so from parts meeting military specifications regardless of the manufacturer of that part.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    Ok. Why is mil spec not mil spec? Either a part is manufactured to military specifications or it is not. And it follows that if Colt manufactures a part that is up to military specifications and Company x manufactures the same part to military specifications then one part is as good as the other. That's the whole point of military specifications. That's the whole point of interchangeability of parts. When the Army rebuilds a rifle it does so from parts meeting military specifications regardless of the manufacturer of that part.
    One problem is that "mil spec" means different things to different people. When most people/companies use the term "mil spec", it usually does not mean 100% mil spec, just sort of mil spec.

One example is buffer tubes. The term mil spec buffer tube is used frequently, but it usually just means it has a mil spec diameter. As many people have seen, there are a lot of different "mil spec" buffer tubes being sold.

I agree that there is a significant difference in the quality of many small (and large) AR parts. When I find something I like, I try to stock up on it if it's not too expensive.

One very frustrating thing is buying the same part from the same retailer at different times, and getting slightly (but noticeably) different parts.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast