Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare AR parts quality?

Feedback Score

Spare AR parts quality?

Hey guys,

I wanted to get spare springs, detents, etc. I was going to pick up colt parts from Brownells, but they're like $2 each. I know that White Oak Armament sells the same thing for like 40-50 cents.

Any noticeable quality differences? I don't think Colt manufactures these, so.

thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Spares are spares. Just buy what you can afford.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not all parts are the same. Take a lot at a Colt extractor spring vs most others if you doubt me. If you are looking for generic parts, buying a couple LPK is a great way to do it. You pay less for the parts, and get parts you might not need until a later date.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Not all parts are the same. Take a lot at a Colt extractor spring vs most others if you doubt me. If you are looking for generic parts, buying a couple LPK is a great way to do it. You pay less for the parts, and get parts you might not need until a later date.
    Yeah, I took up Mistwolf on his advice and picked up 3 Colt copper springs from Brownells. I think I have some sprinco 5-coils around somewhere too. I realize these springs are worth the extra cost.

However, concerning takedown springs, detents, mag springs, and alike specifically. Is it worth paying 4x the cost?

My previous go to LPK was CMMG, but that was before joining this forum. Now, I've been scarred off a bit. Moreover, their CS never emailed me back, so that rubbed me the wrong way. I was trying to avoid buying whole LPKs when I usually get different takedowns, safeties, triggers, trigger guards, and grips. Seems like a lot of wasted parts that just go into a bin.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    I was trying to avoid buying whole LPKs when I usually get different takedowns, safeties, triggers, trigger guards, and grips. Seems like a lot of wasted parts that just go into a bin.
    Follow the links I posted.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ^Rb View Post
    Spares are spares. Just buy what you can afford.
    Rb,
    I don’t mean to be offensive, but following this advice is just as bad as believing “mil spec is mil spec”. While it is a common saying, especially at TOS, nothing could be further from the truth.

In my world my spares are not just replacements for worn parts and the occasional broken part, but more often not they are used in a build. I’ve built quite a few AR’s and I’ve “modernized” or upgraded a few also and here is truth I have learned:

Not all parts are created equal. It’s just that simple. Also here is another truth:

“Perceived value does not always equal realized value.”
    What this means is that you really need to do your due diligence and research what parts are machined with high quality metals and what parts are not. What parts are consistent in spec, and what manufacturers have parts all over the place. I’ve seen both sides of that coin.
    I’ve tried many LPK’s. I’ve seen castle nuts that were value priced act like it and my spanner wrench slip out and round out the notches. I’ve seen the same with mil spec barrel nuts. It wasn’t alway the most expensive that was the best either. Though usually there is a cost associated with using quality steel, and there is alway a cost associated with having QA analysts testing parts before they roll out to the end user or whomever.
    That’s what makes it so tricky! Sometimes you really are paying for popularity or what happens to be the latest buzz word, or you are paying for perceived value.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Hey guys,

I wanted to get spare springs, detents, etc. I was going to pick up colt parts from Brownells, but they're like $2 each. I know that White Oak Armament sells the same thing for like 40-50 cents.

Any noticeable quality differences? I don't think Colt manufactures these, so.

thanks.
    I buy my spring kits from DSG Arms and haven’t ever had an issue with them. I rarely buy full LPK’s any longer, but buy the detente and springs, etc. when needed.

I use this for my small parts:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004X14L..._LjLeAbP3TH4HN

Works amazingly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Duffy suggested I try these safety detents on a safety I didn't like the feel of. Been buying them ever since. Notice it says 'Machined from quality stainless steel by KNS Precision, Inc. in Texas' so you know who made them.

https://knsprecisioninc.com/gun-part...ty-detent.html

https://knsprecisioninc.com/spare-re...wn-detent.html

Just saw this:

https://knsprecisioninc.com/spare-re...parts-kit.html

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    CMMG, SCIONICS, DSG ARMS, i have even used some items from DS arms

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast