Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare AR parts quality?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Hey guys,

I wanted to get spare springs, detents, etc. I was going to pick up colt parts from Brownells, but they're like $2 each. I know that White Oak Armament sells the same thing for like 40-50 cents.

Any noticeable quality differences? I don't think Colt manufactures these, so.

thanks.
    Sionics has a nice selection of parts as well as bundled "kits".

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...tegory=15&n=32

tp

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Duffy suggested I try these safety detents on a safety I didn't like the feel of. Been buying them ever since. Notice it says 'Machined from quality stainless steel by KNS Precision, Inc. in Texas' so you know who made them.

https://knsprecisioninc.com/gun-part...ty-detent.html

https://knsprecisioninc.com/spare-re...wn-detent.html

Just saw this:

https://knsprecisioninc.com/spare-re...parts-kit.html
    I'm not that familiar with OEM manufactures, so I wouldn't really infer who made them. Maybe you could put it bluntly haha.

I see that their detents are nitride. That's cool. I'm not sure how that would compare to what I am guessing is TiN on the detents that came with my CMMG lpk/Battle Arms takedown pins. I like nitride and I'm surprised more parts are just standard nitride like castle nuts, bolt catch, magazine release, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Sionics has a nice selection of parts as well as bundled "kits".

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...tegory=15&n=32

tp
    Yeah, I would love to give Sionics some business. However, once you factor in shipping cost it is a $3 difference between getting Sionics springs/detents/roll pins and all Colt from Brownells -without a coupon. I could call them up and see if there is any difference between the parts, as I do not know what the mil-spec is for detents, springs, etc.

Moreover, a direct comparison of Sionics/Colt to WOA reveals a 3-4x price difference. No one seems to list specs for the detents/springs so I am just flying blind on if they are directly comparable. If there is one thing this forum did to me, it's that it made me paranoid about differences in quality between companies.

I seem to have to rely on trust of a company. For instance, I used the takedown springs included with my B.A.D. enhanced takedown pins (and they sell them separately) and I assume the quality of those springs is on par with Colt/Sionics just because the company puts out quality parts.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Yeah, I would love to give Sionics some business. However, once you factor in shipping cost it is a $3 difference between getting Sionics springs/detents/roll pins and all Colt from Brownells -without a coupon. I could call them up and see if there is any difference between the parts, as I do not know what the mil-spec is for detents, springs, etc.

Moreover, a direct comparison of Sionics/Colt to WOA reveals a 3-4x price difference. No one seems to list specs for the detents/springs so I am just flying blind on if they are directly comparable. If there is one thing this forum did to me, it's that it made me paranoid about differences in quality between companies.

I seem to have to rely on trust of a company. For instance, I used the takedown springs included with my B.A.D. enhanced takedown pins (and they sell them separately) and I assume the quality of those springs is on par with Colt/Sionics just because the company puts out quality parts.
    Are you prior service? Sionics offers a military discount to veterans, first responders. At least in Texas, mil discounts makes up for sales tax, but either way I’m thankful for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Are you prior service? Sionics offers a military discount to veterans, first responders. At least in Texas, mil discounts makes up for sales tax, but either way I’m thankful for them.

Nope. Regular guy. In fact, my best friend who is the Army thought it was hilarious to get me a shirt that says "Hello, my name is Jodie." And I refuse to wear it out of fear of getting my ass beat. Most of my friends/family is, but they all (especially my Dad) dissuaded me. We'll see how it works out though. I got to lose a ton of weight if I ever wanted to be mil/cop.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rb,
    I don’t mean to be offensive, but following this advice is just as bad as believing “mil spec is mil spec”. While it is a common saying, especially at TOS, nothing could be further from the truth.

In my world my spares are not just replacements for worn parts and the occasional broken part, but more often not they are used in a build. I’ve built quite a few AR’s and I’ve “modernized” or upgraded a few also and here is truth I have learned:

Not all parts are created equal. It’s just that simple. Also here is another truth:

“Perceived value does not always equal realized value.”
    What this means is that you really need to do your due diligence and research what parts are machined with high quality metals and what parts are not. What parts are consistent in spec, and what manufacturers have parts all over the place. I’ve seen both sides of that coin.
    I’ve tried many LPK’s. I’ve seen castle nuts that were value priced act like it and my spanner wrench slip out and round out the notches. I’ve seen the same with mil spec barrel nuts. It wasn’t alway the most expensive that was the best either. Though usually there is a cost associated with using quality steel, and there is alway a cost associated with having QA analysts testing parts before they roll out to the end user or whomever.
    That’s what makes it so tricky! Sometimes you really are paying for popularity or what happens to be the latest buzz word, or you are paying for perceived value.
    You're preaching to the choir, man. Not even gonna waste my time typing out a lengthy response.

To the OP, just buy what you can afford. The statistical likelihood that you're gonna actually need a spare detent or takedown spring? Not very high. And if you do, and you use something that's not-Colt, so what? Is your gun going to magically stop functioning? No. It'll be just fine until you're able to replace it with a Colt (or whatever brand) part, if that satisfies your OCD.

You guys are overthinking this shit, but hey by all means, if you wanna pay 400% more for a spare, that's your money--you're free to spend it how you want.
    Last edited by ^Rb; 11-20-17 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Nope. Regular guy. In fact, my best friend who is the Army thought it was hilarious to get me a shirt that says "Hello, my name is Jodie." And I refuse to wear it out of fear of getting my ass beat. Most of my friends/family is, but they all (especially my Dad) dissuaded me. We'll see how it works out though. I got to lose a ton of weight if I ever wanted to be mil/cop.
    Dude, you totally need to wear that. You’ll get more crack-ups than ass whippings.

I’m pretty sure anyway.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I tend to agree with ^Rb. I'm having a hard time believing there is a big difference (if any) between a 50 cent detent from WOA and a $2 detent from Colt/Sionics.

However, is there any resource for what metals/specs the small receiver parts should be made to?

Feedback Score
    Dude, you totally need to wear that. You’ll get more crack-ups than ass whippings.

I’m pretty sure anyway.

I'd be funny either way lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not that familiar with OEM manufactures, so I wouldn't really infer who made them. Maybe you could put it bluntly haha.
    The batch I bought a couple years ago weren't nitrided. All I know is they improved the safety's function, so I am going to stick with them.

In fact, I just ordered 3 of these to try out: https://knsprecisioninc.com/spare-re...ining-pin.html

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast