Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare AR parts quality?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Hey guys,

I wanted to get spare springs, detents, etc. I was going to pick up colt parts from Brownells, but they're like $2 each. I know that White Oak Armament sells the same thing for like 40-50 cents.

Any noticeable quality differences? I don't think Colt manufactures these, so.

thanks.
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/Spare-L...rts_c_150.html

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    Ok. Why is mil spec not mil spec? Either a part is manufactured to military specifications or it is not. And it follows that if Colt manufactures a part that is up to military specifications and Company x manufactures the same part to military specifications then one part is as good as the other. That's the whole point of military specifications. That's the whole point of interchangeability of parts. When the Army rebuilds a rifle it does so from parts meeting military specifications regardless of the manufacturer of that part.
    Most companies do not do ANY in house QC. That is why you want to buy parts from companies like BCM and Colt (as they do it).

C4

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I did not see any buffer retainers, do you not carry them?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I did not see any buffer retainers, do you not carry them?
    Yep, we have them: http://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-Bu...ner_p_883.html

C4

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Thanks
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I am in the logic camp. If a part is made to military specifications then it is made to military specifications. If those specifications have a tolerance range then then that part must fall within those tolerances. If the specification states that only parts made by military suppliers are mil spec then all parts not made by those companies are not mil spec. As for the drawings I would assume that they are referring to the official drawings contained in the technical data package and would contain the precise requirements for staking etc.

As for other countries if they manufacture M16 series weapons using the technical data package supplied by the US government then I would assume their parts are made to the same standards as US made parts and are mil spec. The whole point of a standard is to insure the interchangeability of parts and that is what mil spec does.

Feedback Score
    So only those parts which have passed government inspection are mil spec? I would assume then that only parts accepted by the government and then surplussed out of the government are truly mil spec parts.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    So only those parts which have passed government inspection are mil spec? I would assume then that only parts accepted by the government and then surplussed out of the government are truly mil spec parts.
    That is probably the safest best. I would also throw in companies that follow the TDP, (but do not have a .Mil contract) AND have a strict QC program.

C4

Feedback Score
    BCM

Colt

Any others?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    BCM

Colt

Any others?
    Sionics