Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Spare AR parts quality?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm curious as to what everyone keeps around as wear and tear spare parts? And what kind of schedule? My round count gets spread out between the AR's I have but there will come a time when stuff starts to get worn out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I'm curious as to what everyone keeps around as wear and tear spare parts? And what kind of schedule? My round count gets spread out between the AR's I have but there will come a time when stuff starts to get worn out.
    I have spares of every receiver roll pin, pin, spring, and detent. They are inexpensive enough that it just makes sense to me.

Hammer and trigger pins I amass when I replace triggers, likewise I have several mil spec hammers and triggers in the box.

A couple of extractors, a couple of ejectors, a couple of pins for both, 6 or so extractor springs (springco and BCM), several sets of standard gas rings and a couple of McFarland one piece rings.

I have one spare 5.56 bolt and one spare 6.5 Grendel bolt, plus several complete BCG's which are earmarked for future builds.

Buffer spring - one each for rifle and carbine. You can replace buffer springs by measurement: under 12 inches for rifle, under 10 for carbine; by cycles - generally around 5,000 to 6,000 rounds; or when you start having problems.

Hammer and trigger springs - when there are problems.

Extractors - replace when it doesn't pass visual inspection, or if troubleshooting indicates it is needed.

Extractor springs: when indicated by FTE's or other issues.

Gas rings: when they don't pass this test: with cam pin removed, turn carrier so the bolt is pointed down. If the weight of bolt causes it to drop out the bolt carrier you need to replace the gas rings.

Regularly function test your rifle and replace any parts of FCG as needed.

I try not to work on firearms at the range, it is not optimal and you run the chance of losing parts - I on the other hand, always lose parts. I bring two rifles.

If you are thinking duty/HD rather than range use you may want to use a PM schedule that will have you discarding parts with life still in them to be sure of function when needed. I stole this from someplace:

2,500 round interval,

* Inspect and replace as necessary extractor spring, insert and O-ring

5,000 round interval

* Replace extractor spring
    * Replace extractor insert
    * Replace Crane O'ring (new springs may not need this)
    * Replace gas rings
    * Replace buffer spring
    * Replace trigger and hammer springs

10,000 round interval

* Replace bolt

When I was armoring on LE weapons I tried to get agencies to do a complete spring replacement every three years - crazy talk.

Feedback Score
    Does BCM supply parts to the government? I thought only Colt and FN did?
    Last edited by mlberry; 11-24-17 at 06:42.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    It's a little bit more complicated than that.

Colt and FN sell complete rifles.

Many companies have contracts to sell specific parts for repair. Some you would know of, some you might not.

And some of those companies might also be suppliers to Colt/FN. Or Colt/FN may choose to make that part in house.

Then there is special block stuff where companies like LMT play a big role.

To put it in perspective, LMT has had over 158 federal contracts since 2007, nearly all DOD. $15m rough value. Some of that is M203, but most of the rest is M4 related parts. DLA and the Army were big chunks.

Toolcraft is another supplier. Apparently one part, $5m in contracts. Several other parts for other weapon systems.

Just examples of companies selling true "mil-spec" to the military. There are many more, just not who you would think.

Also, a company may win a contract once, then lose it the next time. Or may be a subcontractor to another company.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Action springs. They're cheap and are a wear item.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    US Military, no I do not think so. Federal Govt? Yes. We have won bids for the Border Patrol, etc.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    BCM

Colt

Any others?

LMT and most likely KAC.

C4

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    LMT and most likely KAC.

C4
    Any chance of your LPK coming back? Wish I had bought multiples at the time.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Any chance of your LPK coming back? Wish I had bought multiples at the time.
    When the BCM and Colt LPK's came out, we stopped doing ours (no need).

C4

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Always nice to have another option but makes sense. I'm just being greedy Of all the parts kits I have used, I always felt like yours was of the highest quality (LMT iirc?). This is a direct comparison to Colt, Daniel Defense and ALG.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast