Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light weight tripod for binos and spotting scope ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Light weight tripod for binos and spotting scope ?

I need to pick up a tripod that is 6ft tall that I can use with my Vortex Kaibab 15X binos. I want to be able to stand up and look through them. I have a manfrotto that is just a bit short. Needs to be lightweight too.

Any ideas ?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have a Manfrotto that tall, but I would call it lightweight. Really Right Stuff has some interesting models that might fit the bill.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you can swing the cheddar, RRS is amaze-ballz.

Just under them in performance, but way under them in cost is the Hog Saddle PRST Carbon Fiber Tripod.
    The XB-52DL ballhead adaptor works better than the frotto pistol grip, and holds plenty of weight.

I use mine with a hog saddle for laser range finders, spotting scopes, spotting scopes with front-mounted PVS030s, and shooting from.

In all cases, I recommend getting the tallest model you can, as they are more stable in shorter configurations, and they give you more options for weird applications.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    As Jack mentioned, RRS is excellent. I've been using their ballheads and arca-swiss plates for almost a decade.

You can also find less expensive yet great sets of legs from other manufacturers like Gitzo, and then pair them with an RRS head for similar results. Stick to 3 section legs so the tube diameter is maximized all the way down. If you get a compact ultralight 4 or 5 section set of legs, it'll be super flimsy at full extension and your spotting scope will bounce all over.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    I love my Manfrotto 055 carbon 3 section legs and magnesium ball head. Picked them up on eBay for $250 total. I'm 6' 2" and it is plenty tall without the center column up. Pretty light and super sturdy even with 15lb gun clamped in the pig saddle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've read good things on the hide about Fiesol and Silk legs, but I would go with what F2S said and get the Hog Saddle PRST.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    http://precisionriflesolutions.com/

Light and work well for intended purposes. Get the quick plates for multiple items.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Great feedback guys, this thread is going to cost me some more cheddar. Failure to stop's suggestion for a budget pod, hog saddle looks pretty darn good. I have a nice manfrotto for my spotting scope but its an old school, built like a tank that I use for shooting every weekend. But its so heavy no chance I can use for a hunt i.e. 9lbs. So I'm moving the spotter to a lightweight manfrotto of decent quality and getting one more Manfrotto for my 15X Binos. 15X is too much wobble to not have a brace of sorts.

Now you guys have put me into another tripod for shooting the beast. We scouted this weekend, and all the places we looked didn't have ideal "lay and shoot off the gun bipod", so your advice to get PRS type bipod may indeed save my arse.

I may just buy the saddle and switch in a hurry, even though I might like to have one dedicated set up to use every weekend and give our shoots a new dimension.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 11-21-17 at 10:34.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you can swing the cheddar, RRS is amaze-ballz.

Just under them in performance, but way under them in cost is the Hog Saddle PRST Carbon Fiber Tripod.
    The XB-52DL ballhead adaptor works better than the frotto pistol grip, and holds plenty of weight.

I use mine with a hog saddle for laser range finders, spotting scopes, spotting scopes with front-mounted PVS030s, and shooting from.

In all cases, I recommend getting the tallest model you can, as they are more stable in shorter configurations, and they give you more options for weird applications.
    I am studying every option in depth. I was looking a the RRS ballheads and the XB-52DL ballhead adaptor, but what saddle is the goto saddle. I don't see where these companies offer that option.

I see where the Hog saddle does buts the only one. Best options ?

What is the goto saddle?

Thanks again guys
    Last edited by Pappabear; 11-21-17 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I am studying every option in depth. I was looking a the RRS ballheads and the XB-52DL ballhead adaptor, but what saddle is the goto saddle. I don't see where these companies offer that option.

I see where the Hog saddle does buts the only one. Best options ?

What is the goto saddle?

Thanks again guys
    I shot off the RRS Vyce at a PRS match last year and it was excellent. My personal setup has a PIG saddle and I'd say it's about 95% as good. The only sacrifice is a little bit of weight.

The setup at the match also had the RRS levelling base which was incredible. Unless you have a requirement for high angle shots that might be a good option for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast