Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Lightweight Builds the Pinnacle?

Feedback Score

Are Lightweight Builds the Pinnacle?

Hey guys,

I see it plastered all over the internet, Facebook, guys my own age (just turned 26) -that lightweight builds are better.

Do you find this to be true? Should this be a goal for every build? Just SBRs?

I've never been bothered by "normal" weight or slightly heavy. M1As come to mind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Better for carrying all day....sure.

Better for every situation....nope.

I have one lightweight AR, but it's hardly an extreme example.
    I also have two SPRs (a 5.56 and a 6.8) that are far from lightweight, but they serve the role very well.
    I also have a few midweight ARs when neither of the above are ideal.
    Last edited by grizzman; 11-20-17 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    Only the pinnacle if weight savings is the intended purpose. AR's are light enough as is. And there are to many configurations to consider to call it the pinnacle. But it sure as hell has it's place

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In my opinion...
    I think there is a premium point in weight, and balance.
    Something like 6-8lbs, with good balance ( really nose heavy guns don't balance well ), I think is ideal.

It depends on the gun, and it's intended purpose. You could have a 6lb gun with just irons, but you want to add a suppressor and optic, then it will be a bit heavier. So I don't think lighter is always better, actually, I think balance is more important than weight alone, but the overall package and it's capabilities is what I look at.

I have an 9lb Bullpup, but it is balanced so much better than one of my nose heavy 7.9 lb carbine, that it is actually much easier to handle, more efficient, and just a better setup overall. In fact, it handles so much better, that that bullpup always goes to the range with me, and that carbine now just collects dust. Balance is very important for me.

Feedback Score
    Lightweight AR's cost more money to build and I don't see the advantages, in fact there are disadvantages most of the builds require lightweight barrels and most of these barrels heat up quickly and when they do out goes the accuracy. I think my 18" AR at 6.8 lbs is good enough and balances well. I use my AR's at to range, I don't run around in the woods with them...

Feedback Score
    I like having choices running around the ranch. A lightweight build isn’t the pinnacle for me, but it clearly has its place in the quiver, for me. Light, fast n short is great getting in and outta the truck...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Hey guys,

I see it plastered all over the internet, Facebook, guys my own age (just turned 26) -that lightweight builds are better.

Do you find this to be true? Should this be a goal for every build? Just SBRs?

I've never been bothered by "normal" weight or slightly heavy. M1As come to mind.
    No. They are not necessarily better. In fact, the ar15s that people are trying to build super light are probably significantly worse. I saw one the other day that was like 4 lbs. I want to see that thing put through a torture test. Throw it around, throw it in the mud, sand, water, etc., and then see how great it is. Light weight is good, but not at the expense of reliability.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Light weight ARs are kind of interesting, but I wouldn't assemble or buy one personally. The light weight handguards look flimsy, and the pencil barrels heat up too quickly for my tastes.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    If you want a lightweight carbine it's pretty easy.

Buy a 6920. Do nothing. The end.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    If you want a lightweight carbine it's pretty easy.

Buy a 6920. Do nothing. The end.
    Bwahahaha!

Ok guys, discussion over. Time to close the thread.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast