Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Complete COLT lower castle nut alignment

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    @OP: to be clear...I see what you are referencing. My post was intended to convey that, in my opinion, the lower has been assembled correctly. Its perfectly common to see such things in quality lowers. Before you SBR the lower you should definitely slap a quality upper on there and make sure everything cycles/functions appropriately, but i would have no problem SBRing (if i did such things) the pictured lower.
    Also, the staking is legit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jastone7373 View Post
    I just picked up a brand new complete COLT lower from brownells that I am planning to SBR. While inspecting, I noticed the castle nut seems to be slightly off from being perfectly concentric with the end plate. If I had to guess, I would say the outside diameter of the nut isn’t perfectly round-- but that's not an issue i've ever really heard of before

Anyway, I’m wondering if this is something that’s somewhat common from COLT and no big deal? Or, would this be a sign of some other problem with the lower?

Attachment 48795
    Back the nut off and see if you can straighten it out. Thats what I would do. None of my bcm's, colt or anderson lower are like that. Probly ok just doesnt sit well with me
    Steve

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenravenscroft View Post
    Back the nut off and see if you can straighten it out. Thats what I would do. None of my bcm's, colt or anderson lower are like that. Probly ok just doesnt sit well with me
    Definitely not worth breaking factory staking for a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    ^ Agreed. Don't break the staking for no reason whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sweet Jesus! I wouldn't look over a weapon that closely if I paid $10,000 for it! This is what some of you obsess over? Light roll marks!?! LOL! There is nothing wrong with that.

I'll give you $25 for it if you're losing sleep. Here's a tip to make you forget about it: Take it outside and drop it on a concrete driveway. Problem solved.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is most disappointing...

When I viewed this thread last evening, I thought for sure it would have made it to at least 50 posts by now.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoe View Post
    @OP: to be clear...I see what you are referencing. My post was intended to convey that, in my opinion, the lower has been assembled correctly. Its perfectly common to see such things in quality lowers. Before you SBR the lower you should definitely slap a quality upper on there and make sure everything cycles/functions appropriately, but i would have no problem SBRing (if i did such things) the pictured lower.
    Also, the staking is legit.
    Appreciate the input. Yea, i would agree and seem to think all is good. Just looking for a 2nd opinion as I'm planning to SBR this one and would prefer not to mess with the staking, replacing castle nuts, etc..
    Last edited by jastone7373; 11-22-17 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    Better off just building your own lower IMO.
    Sure, if you know what you are doing (trained armorer). If not, let Colt build it.

C4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123