Thread: CMP field grade M1

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

CMP field grade M1

Yes, CMP has available field grades at $630. It has been awhile since field grade rifles have been offered for sale. Just in case you guys have gotten tired of buying colt troopers...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Yes, CMP has available field grades at $630. It has been awhile since field grade rifles have been offered for sale. Just in case you guys have gotten tired of buying colt troopers...
    Thanks for the heads up. Plan on acquiring a few more M1s before the well runs dry. Have had some good luck in the past on the field grades.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just can't decide if the extra $100 is worth it for service grade. My current filed grade has been completely satisfying.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Less than 16% more for the service grade is more than worth it in my opinion, both functionally and visually. Read the descriptions closely.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I just can't decide if the extra $100 is worth it for service grade. My current filed grade has been completely satisfying.
    Unless you can go to the store and hand pick a rifle, yes it is.

I gauged over two dozen field grades at the north store a couple years ago before I found one that met service grade criteria for muzzle erosion. Long odds for the price difference at the time.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I recently got a Service Grade that was practically brand new (by brand new, I mean: Re-built by Springfield in the 1960s and then stored in an armory somewhere for over fifty years, before being transferred from the government to the CMP for sale).

New birch stock, old (but good condition) walnut rear and front handguards. No noticeable finish wear on the metal parts. The tag that came with it listed muzzle and throat erosion at "1+".

That being said, InRangeTV/ForgottenWeapons got a Rack Grade from the CMP a year or so ago and they were really impressed by what good shape it was in.

I don't think there are any of the M1 rifles that the CMP is offering that isn't absolutely worth what they're asking for them.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A worn barrel makes a good candidate for a 308 barrel swap or a mini G conversion. I would buy up some rack grades if they become available again.