Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army Expected to Sell Off Thousands of Surplus 1911 Pistols

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Army Expected to Sell Off Thousands of Surplus 1911 Pistols

The U.S. Army is expected to transfer upward of 8,000 surplus M1911 pistols for civilian sale in fiscal 2018.

Specifically, the bill would allow recently confirmed Army Secretary Mark Esper, previously the top lobbyist at defense contracting giant Raytheon Co., to transfer 8,000 or more .45-caliber M1911/M1911A1 pistols, spare parts and related accessories to the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety as part of a two-year pilot program.

The program would cap the number of transfers at 10,000 a year and also require the Army secretary to send an annual report to Congress on the number of pistols transferred, number of pistols sold and information on any crimes committed with the pistols.

For now, officials at CMP are sitting tight, according to a recent message on its website.
    https://kitup.military.com/2017/11/a...1-pistols.html

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Wow the article states an estimated 100,000 still in the inventory. I would have never imagined that many still floating around. David

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Any estimates on price range?

Feedback Score
    This news about the 1911s has been around for months now. Even Tom Gresham did a segment on it last summer. When is this going to happen?

Feedback Score
    The CMP is not really talking about it, yet. ANy mention on their forum gets locked quickly. Once the NDAA is signed, SECARMY has to sign the authorization. Once the actual transfer takes place, the staff will have to be trained on grading them, then the pistols will have to be graded for eventual sale. Still unknown is whether they will be able to be shipped to 03 C&R license holders (as other 1911A1s are) or if CMP will require and 01FFL transfer. No prices have been set but expect them to probably start around the $900 to $1000 range and go up from there. Rare makes will most likely end up on the auction. Even if the transfer happens quickly, I'm not convinced they will even be available in 2018.

Feedback Score
    I will consider it a done deal when the cmp itself announces pricing grading and a date you can send an order in. Until then all hot air- way to many stumbling blocks for now

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shotmeshotu View Post
    I hope the anti-gun people aren't trying to block this from happening.
    If it's on a CNN app they are.

Feedback Score
    I'm waiting for one myself if it doesn't rattle I don't want it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shotmeshotu View Post
    I hope the anti-gun people aren't trying to block this from happening.
    Media headlines for the masses will be something like, "US Army to sell miltary grade large caliber concealable handguns to civilians".

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Good thing someone else isn't POTUS, they'd be grinding them up for Chinese scrap metal.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast