Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Army Expected to Sell Off Thousands of Surplus 1911 Pistols

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious6 View Post
    The CMP is not really talking about it, yet. ANy mention on their forum gets locked quickly. Once the NDAA is signed, SECARMY has to sign the authorization. Once the actual transfer takes place, the staff will have to be trained on grading them, then the pistols will have to be graded for eventual sale. Still unknown is whether they will be able to be shipped to 03 C&R license holders (as other 1911A1s are) or if CMP will require and 01FFL transfer. No prices have been set but expect them to probably start around the $900 to $1000 range and go up from there. Rare makes will most likely end up on the auction. Even if the transfer happens quickly, I'm not convinced they will even be available in 2018.
    Key point in red. A previous NDAA included similar language, but SA (at that time) Fanning said no. Not sure where SA Esper will lean, but he might be more likely to approve given his appointment source but current events (high profile shootings, etc.) may influence his decision when it gets to his desk.

I would like to see this approved, but am not holding my breath until I see SA Esper's decision.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I still have my official notice from the old DCM dated 1962, stating that my request for an "unserviceable" (they were actually quite nice and VERY "serviceable" ) 1911 was on file and pending--but temporarily on hold. "Temporarily" is now up to 55 years. I expect to be first in line for mine and I also want to hold them to the old price of $17.50 as well.

A deal is a deal, dagnab it.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    The latest from CMP themselves:
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/
    "December 5, 2017

"The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Way waaaaay waaaay too many hoops to jump through. At this point I wouldn't be interested in one even if it was free

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Way waaaaay waaaay too many hoops to jump through. At this point I wouldn't be interested in one even if it was free

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    That's why I'm choosing to be happy with my AO M1911A1 clone.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Sorry but I am not dropping that kind of coin for an outdated beat up weapon. Go right ahead collectors.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The only difference for the M1911A1s and buying a rifle from CMP in this process is the 01FFL requirement and the random selection process - you already have to meet the CMP qualifications and submit the same forms to buy a rifle. When they sold the initial burst of M1Carbines they set a date where orders would be taken and then you waited your turn until they got to yours...so it was still pretty much luck of the draw. I've purchased several M1 Garands and 4 M1 Carbines...never got a bad one. SOme of the stocks need some cleaning and BLO but otherwise they were in great shape and shoot like champs. The CMP armorers are going to go through the pistols and any that are too bad will be stripped for parts, not sold, just as they do with the rifles.

Feedback Score
    First thing they're going to do is go through and inspect them all, by that I mean:

1. Sort through the pile for any Colt 1911 slides, frames and parts to cobble together some "all original" 1911's for the auction.

2. Sort through the pile for enough original 1911A1 parts, frames and slides by manufacturer to cobble some "all Colt/Singer/Remington Rand/US&S" 1911A1's for the auction.

3. Sort through the pile for any NM pistols to go to auction.

4. Any NM parts they can use to assemble "new" NM pistols for the auction.

5. Everything else

Sorry, I really like the CMP but not interested. I'll be able to get a brand new with warranty Spring Field Armory Range officer, a bunch of mags and a case of ball for less than one of these beaters is going to end up running and the only paperwork I'll have to do is fill out a 4473, give them my CHL and write a check.

Besides, I'm convinced that once the CMP runs out of garands and 1911's they're going to drop the service rifle and highpower game like a fat man drops a deuce in favor of the BB gun/ISU smallbore game.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Not remotely interested, but it'll give the collector Fudds something to talk about for the next 10 years.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    First thing they're going to do is go through and inspect them all, by that I mean:

1. Sort through the pile for any Colt 1911 slides, frames and parts to cobble together some "all original" 1911's for the auction.

2. Sort through the pile for enough original 1911A1 parts, frames and slides by manufacturer to cobble some "all Colt/Singer/Remington Rand/US&S" 1911A1's for the auction.

3. Sort through the pile for any NM pistols to go to auction.

4. Any NM parts they can use to assemble "new" NM pistols for the auction.

5. Everything else

Sorry, I really like the CMP but not interested. I'll be able to get a brand new with warranty Spring Field Armory Range officer, a bunch of mags and a case of ball for less than one of these beaters is going to end up running and the only paperwork I'll have to do is fill out a 4473, give them my CHL and write a check.

Besides, I'm convinced that once the CMP runs out of garands and 1911's they're going to drop the service rifle and highpower game like a fat man drops a deuce in favor of the BB gun/ISU smallbore game.
    Some will go to auction, others may be sold in 'correct grade' fixed price bins like they've done with rifles. They haven't gone too crazy with the rifles other than blasting and re-parking some receivers to get something out the door. At least they are always honest about what you are going to get.

I don't think anyone will be buying these to use for duty or competitive purposes. Even shooter-grade GI 1911a1s in more or less original condition command absurd prices and have gone up consistently every year.

Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
    Yeah, that sounds exciting. Beat-to-shit, half-century-old, mismatched 1911s for $1k+... How much will they be flipped on GB for?
    Buying one of these is about as foolish as the buying any of the beat-to-shit , half-century-old, mismatched M1 rifles, carbines, M1903s, etc they've sold, when you can have new stuff.

I was sorry to see the numbers of M1s that were reassembled and flipped by high-volume buyers at the stores few years ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast