Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Army Expected to Sell Off Thousands of Surplus 1911 Pistols

Feedback Score
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-requirements/
    [b]CMP Issues Clarification on 1911 Purchase Requirements[b/]

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I just have zero interest in anything the CMP is selling, aside from when they sold of unused, surplus 1911 magazines.

M1 Garands? Cool, I'll shoot someones at the range but if I were to buy one it would take up space in the safe. Same with the M1 Carbine - I owned one for awhile (commercially made) and I probably shot it 4 times in 4 years. Fun but outdated.

Old ass 1911s fit into the same category. I bought a recent no frills Colt O1991 a couple of years ago just because when they had them pretty cheap. I like it, it works with the CMP mags I got, but it's just a range toy and probably far more reliable than the random mix-master CMP 1911s that will unlikely emerge.

To each their own. I get it if you carried one in the 'Nam or something like that - I really do. But other than that, I see them as worthless.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think it looks to be almost too much a pain to try and get one but I want one. If only because the first pistol I shot was my uncles colt 1911 from his ww2 service. And because this is what should happen to surplus weapons that the American people produced and paid for, they should be put back into our hands!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious6 View Post
    The CMP is not really talking about it, yet. ANy mention on their forum gets locked quickly. Once the NDAA is signed, SECARMY has to sign the authorization. Once the actual transfer takes place, the staff will have to be trained on grading them, then the pistols will have to be graded for eventual sale. Still unknown is whether they will be able to be shipped to 03 C&R license holders (as other 1911A1s are) or if CMP will require and 01FFL transfer. No prices have been set but expect them to probably start around the $900 to $1000 range and go up from there. Rare makes will most likely end up on the auction. Even if the transfer happens quickly, I'm not convinced they will even be available in 2018.
    $900-1000+ ???

They must be on crack to sell used 1911's. You can get new and better 1911's in that price range. Just because the military used it doesn't mean it should cost so much.

Colt6920's aren't selling for $2k...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    $900-1000+ ???

They must be on crack to sell used 1911's. You can get new and better 1911's in that price range. Just because the military used it doesn't mean it should cost so much.

Have you seen the price of a 1911 that has military service? Most that I have seen are above 1K even in so so condition.
    Also, you are going to have to consider that there are a lot of people who will buy them from the CMP and try to turn and flip them. At which point selling them for the price of a RIA is just going to make the flippers more money and the guy who actually wants it as a collectible is still going to be paying that grand or more. it is simply supply and demand. And actually when demand was there I saw Colt 6920's well over 2K. So....
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    $900-1000+ ???

What will they sell for 70 years after the last one rolls off the Colt production line? Colt, Ithaca, Remington Rand, Singer, etc haven't made any GI 1911a1s since the end of the second world war. For a long time, a GI gun was the cheapest way to get into a decent 1911a1, but their steadily increasing collector value has pretty much priced them out of that market.

Look around; you're lucky to find a Remington Rand (usually the least expensive) in fair condition for less than $1000-1200 unless it has been modified from it's service configuration.

The days of buying GI 1911s for competitive and duty use are over; to do so would be foolish and wasteful. For that matter, any 1911 does not make a lot of sense unless it is a gaming gun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrs View Post
    For that matter, any 1911 does not make a lot of sense unless it is a gaming gun.
    Word up!!

I miss those $265 Norinco 1911s in the 1990s. That price made it really easy to put up with the 1911's downsides.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Word up!!

I miss those $265 Norinco 1911s in the 1990s. That price made it really easy to put up with the 1911's downsides.
    SA range officer is hard to beat for a USPSA SS buildup.

I'll put in for at least one Rand or Colt from the CMP if and when they are available, but I'll do it for the same reasons I own any other pre-1950 military firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrs View Post
    I'll put in for at least one Rand or Colt from the CMP if and when they are available, but I'll do it for the same reasons I own any other pre-1950 military firearm.
    ^^This and thisvv

2LT Mark Volk Sep 1978 002.jpg Christmas 96 1.jpg

This is me in 1978, a young 2LT in Germany serving in my first assignment - carrying an M1911A1 - and as a LTC battalion commander in Bosnia, Christmas Eve 1996, carrying an M9. The 1911 was the first Army sidearm I learned to shoot and love. When the Army switched to the Beretta M9s, I hated them - never qualified as well on the M9 as I did with the 1911. Now retired, I still prefer the 1911 frame - it's comfortable in my hand - and personally dislike the polymer, plastic, double-stack handguns that many others prefer. That's just my own personal preference - doesn't make me right and others wrong. It's MY preference and I don't berate others for what they select or what they spend to get the pistol they prefer.

And, as a lover of history and having a father who served in both WWII and Korea, the M1911 is a pistol of lore for me. I collect primarily WWII-vintage weapons and own a pristine 1944 Remington Rand. I've purchased Garands and M1 Carbines from CMP...and will order at least one of the M1919A1s when they are released for all of these reasons. CMP is required by law to sell their weapons at market rate. Will that be $900 or $1000? Possibly. Will some be of lesser quality? You bet. CMP grades and sells weapons in various categories at various prices.

The bottom line is that you don't have to like the M1911A1, or CMP, or the prices or that someone else might want to buy one. We all have our own preferences and ideas of what we like or are willing to spend - and the reasons we do.
    Last edited by Devious6; 01-07-18 at 06:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I sometimes wish I could kick my own ass tearing up my old man's in country made holster playing BB gun wars.

Dunno if I am down for a CMP 1911 but if these guns could talk......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast