Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Systems launched their new Perun OWB Glock holsters today

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    RCS will be bringing IWB conversion kits for the Perun to market eventually.

And RCS says that the holster works best with X300U-Bs, but X300U-As will also work (they just won't fit as well) and they do not recommend using the holster with X200s.
    Fantastic to hear! May just have to give thst kit a try when it comes to fruition.

Thanks for sharing all the details. May just give me a reason to outfit a 19 with an X300U. Even if I realllly like the paddles on my APL.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Breach-Bang-Clear article on the Perun LC: Link.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Damn, a one-size-fits-all lightbearing holster for glocks for $50 that's potentially more concealable than a safariland 7TS? I may have to try this. Granted I've got the X300-A, but still...

I really do wish they had done the M&P line as well, but.... is what it is I guess. Plus with the slide shape differences between the 1.0 and 2.0 models, I'd guess there'd probably be some molding issues to overcome as well.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Any ETA on the streamlight model?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    Any ETA on the streamlight model?
    I believe they said it would only be a few weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Anyone know if my Glock 17 with agency double chamber comp will fit in this holster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Anyone know if my Glock 17 with agency double chamber comp will fit in this holster?
    Which one?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSMichael View Post
    Wanna know why we didn't launch with a Shield model?

Because S&W customers don't vote with their wallets. And I say that as a guy who prefers the Shield to the G43.

The M&P users (full-size, compact, and Shield models combined) are some of the most vocal customers out there, begging for product support and complaining when we don't deliver a product to them. Case in point, when the VG2 first hit the market, M&P users were apoplectic that we didn't concurrently launch one for THEIR pistol, too. So we immediately threw all of our resources into bringing the product to market, and upon launch, the M&P VG2 was greeted with crickets and tumbleweed. As a matter of fact, within weeks of the launch, the same voices who had begged for the M&P VG2 simply changed their tune and NOW wanted the VG2 for the Shield.

The Glock VG2 design and tooling paid for itself within 90 days of launch. The M&P VG2 still hasn't sold enough units to break even, and it's been selling for YEARS.

Flash forward to the Shield VG2. There are, conservatively speaking, probably 8-10x more Shields in the hands of consumers than there are G43's. Yet the sales totals for the G43 vs Shield are INVERSE of the number of guns produced.

And, copying what I had stated in the comments on the SSD press-release about the Perun:

"We have Phantom and Phantom LC sales data that goes back to the launch of the S&W M&P. The sad truth is that if you combine the total sales of our holsters sold for M&P Full Size, M&P .45, M&P Compact, M&P .45 Compact AND all of the corresponding light compatible variants, that total is still LESS than, for example, the HK VP-9 (which has been on the market for a fraction of the time, and is just ONE model)."

Everyone talks down to me like I'm an idiot because I didn't launch my brand new holster line (which took almost two solid years to design and test) with models for their favorite pet pistol, even though they didn't buy the last four holster models I produced for that same exact gun.

Well, here's your chance to shine, M&P fans: In a few weeks, you'll have a Perun for the Shield. I predict sales will be mediocre, at best. I predict that immediate feedback will be that you instead want it for a Shield with TLR-6. Or that you don't know why I bothered making a strong-side holster for a sub compact pistol because you prefer to carry it AIWB (even though sales of the VG2 say otherwise). Or that you wish I had produced it in FDE to match your FDE frame pistol.

I would love it if you guys would prove me wrong. But I suspect I will instead end up revisiting this same conversation, and copy-and-pasting these same comments into a new thread when we launch the updated Eidolon.

The "shake the holster upside down while it's off your body" test proves nothing, since the holster isn't designed to retain the weapon that way. It is designed to retain the pistol while being worn on a belt. Determining retention by shaking the holster is akin to buying a new set of tires for your car and dragging them, unmounted, across your driveway by hand to see if they have "enough traction." In fact, in nearly 100% of the adjustment requests where we are asked to increase the retention on a holster, we end up seeing those holsters back within a week to be loosened back to their original retention. This is because if we make the holster tight enough to retain a loaded gun inverted off the body, once you put it ON, the retention is almost too tight to draw.
    I know I am late to the party but this has to be one of the best rebuttals I have seen on this forum.

Godspeed Michael, you do great stuff.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I ran my new Perun off duty for a long weekend away with my duty G17/X300 and can confirm it carries even closer to my body than my many Phantoms. Long drives, hiking and scrambling uphill, dinners out, movies, and of course an open range afternoon with comfort and concealment.

However it does carry about 0.5" lower than my Phantoms and the design of the bottom is a bit boxy so it can stick out under a shirt easier even though it carries closer. Belt loops for higher carry would be ideal.

I am still deciding whether I like the dual high guards as it takes a bit more care to holster but I do like the theory of avoiding a clothing ND.

Overall I like the carry, retention, ease of draw, and how it more easily conceals. My only negative is that it carries too close for Duty use with my outer carrier vest. Too much chance of snagging given my side vest design. Raven does include spacers but I cannot in principle make such a great concealment holster stick out more :-)

Thanks Again Raven!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-24-18 at 00:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSMichael View Post
    Wanna know why we didn't launch with a Shield model?

Because S&W customers don't vote with their wallets. And I say that as a guy who prefers the Shield to the G43.

The M&P users (full-size, compact, and Shield models combined) are some of the most vocal customers out there, begging for product support and complaining when we don't deliver a product to them. Case in point, when the VG2 first hit the market, M&P users were apoplectic that we didn't concurrently launch one for THEIR pistol, too. So we immediately threw all of our resources into bringing the product to market, and upon launch, the M&P VG2 was greeted with crickets and tumbleweed. As a matter of fact, within weeks of the launch, the same voices who had begged for the M&P VG2 simply changed their tune and NOW wanted the VG2 for the Shield.

The Glock VG2 design and tooling paid for itself within 90 days of launch. The M&P VG2 still hasn't sold enough units to break even, and it's been selling for YEARS.

Flash forward to the Shield VG2. There are, conservatively speaking, probably 8-10x more Shields in the hands of consumers than there are G43's. Yet the sales totals for the G43 vs Shield are INVERSE of the number of guns produced.

And, copying what I had stated in the comments on the SSD press-release about the Perun:

"We have Phantom and Phantom LC sales data that goes back to the launch of the S&W M&P. The sad truth is that if you combine the total sales of our holsters sold for M&P Full Size, M&P .45, M&P Compact, M&P .45 Compact AND all of the corresponding light compatible variants, that total is still LESS than, for example, the HK VP-9 (which has been on the market for a fraction of the time, and is just ONE model)."

Everyone talks down to me like I'm an idiot because I didn't launch my brand new holster line (which took almost two solid years to design and test) with models for their favorite pet pistol, even though they didn't buy the last four holster models I produced for that same exact gun.

Well, here's your chance to shine, M&P fans: In a few weeks, you'll have a Perun for the Shield. I predict sales will be mediocre, at best. I predict that immediate feedback will be that you instead want it for a Shield with TLR-6. Or that you don't know why I bothered making a strong-side holster for a sub compact pistol because you prefer to carry it AIWB (even though sales of the VG2 say otherwise). Or that you wish I had produced it in FDE to match your FDE frame pistol.

I would love it if you guys would prove me wrong. But I suspect I will instead end up revisiting this same conversation, and copy-and-pasting these same comments into a new thread when we launch the updated Eidolon.

The "shake the holster upside down while it's off your body" test proves nothing, since the holster isn't designed to retain the weapon that way. It is designed to retain the pistol while being worn on a belt. Determining retention by shaking the holster is akin to buying a new set of tires for your car and dragging them, unmounted, across your driveway by hand to see if they have "enough traction." In fact, in nearly 100% of the adjustment requests where we are asked to increase the retention on a holster, we end up seeing those holsters back within a week to be loosened back to their original retention. This is because if we make the holster tight enough to retain a loaded gun inverted off the body, once you put it ON, the retention is almost too tight to draw.
    I appreciate your detailed reply. I also appreciate that you are in a tough industry where competition is fierce. So no animosity meant, but I do have a couple replies as well.

Not sure what “because S&W customers don’t vote with their wallets” means. Im thinking most folks who carry a shield must have a holster or two, same as the couple I have for my Glock’s. I don’t chase holsters...when I find one I like, I stick with it.

As far as retention goes, I personally want that “pop” that comes from a tight Kydex form fit. If most do not, I won’t argue with you as you know customers wants way better than i could.

I do wish you the best and hope your company thrives. I know you have a pretty loyal customer base here, so I’m sure you are doing things well.

Take care, Buzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast