Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light primer strike or bad ammo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Light primer strike or bad ammo

So I took out a rifle today that had never had any misfires or issues before, and I got several clicks without a bang. It also emptied several magazines without a hiccup. I have attached a picture of two rounds which did not fire. Does it look like the gun is making light primer strikes? All in all, I had about six failures to fire. I had some Remington UMC ammo. It also fired some PMC . What do you think? IMG_2651.jpgIMG_2651.jpg

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks right on the edge of light....but you nailed them several times, so probably not light. I suppose it's possible that the cases were short and caused a head space issue, pushing the case a tiny bit more into the chamber thus absorbing some FP energy. 6 dead primers seems unlikely, but might happen.

Feedback Score
    Could be light primer strikes.

Time to thoroughly clean your bolt, firing pin, and trigger group. Might be time for a new hammer spring. Between those actions should be an easy fix to rule out the ammo.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Did you remove the FCG?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Check the firing pin and make sure the tip of it is the full length it should be. The last time this issue happened to me, it was a worn down/chipped firing pin. I had a spare to compare it against, and dropped the new one in and fixed it. That was very roughly around 7,000 rounds on a 10.5" rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm going to inspect the firing pin. The rifle was cleaned prior to this session. I will let you know what I find .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you have a another rifle handy you could try them in it. Firing a bunch of other rounds in the gun doesn't seem like it would be the FP itself, but who knows.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is why it seems strange. Fired a bunch of other rounds except for the six clicks and no booms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    If you have a another rifle handy you could try them in it. Firing a bunch of other rounds in the gun doesn't seem like it would be the FP itself, but who knows.
    My firing pin was right on the edge when it happened to me, probably 2/3rds of the mag fired and 1/3rd got light primer strikes.

Not that the firing pin is the only thing that could cause this, but it's one of the things to check.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Firing pin or FCG spring improperly installed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast