Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huge ES/SD on Last Load Workup

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Hornady One Shot is garbage. Sorry, but it is.
    True. one of the WORST reloading products I've ever used.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    +1 n the Hornady One Shot.

I've used Dillon lube without issue for years. Then I thought I'd try the aerosol Hornady for convenience. I started having stuck cases with my Dillon 550, which was a PITA to deal with, not to mention a decent amount of time lost.

Lube probably wouldn't be such a big issue if 223/5.56 brass had stronger rims. They are the only cartridge cases I've ever had stuck in a die. You can probably chew the rims off with your teeth.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I run my cutter on a drill, and hand prime. If I run the cutter manually and prime on a machine, I get primer seating sticking/stubborn issues. None of this impacts the accuracy. It just drives me nuts. Running the cutter in a drill is definitely fastest and gets you better crimp removal.

Those 2400s velocity shots in the "worst" group could be a bad primer/powder marriage with that 24.5 charge. I bet the 26 gr charge yields a more universal % of powder burned.
    Mark,

I chuck my reamer in a drill as well. I still have to wobble the case to cut off the crimp in order to seat a new primer. It’s seems like the straight part of the reamer is too long and bottoms out in the pocket before the angled portion contacts the crimp to cut it off. It will usually cut part of it out, but not completely, so I’ll have to wobble the case and do it by feel...which I don’t really like for consistency reasons.

But are you suggesting that the primer pocket uniformity isn’t an issue when it comes to accuracy?

Feedback Score
    If you use the crimp removal cutter for the RCBS prep station it does not touch the side walls of the primer pocket and only removes the crimp.
    Meaning it gives you more alignment error when holding the case in your hand and not enlarge the primer pocket.

This will remove only the crimp and bevel/round the mouth of the primer pocket like a standard primer pocket.

Trim Mate™ Military Crimp Remover-2
    http://rcbs.com/Products/Case-Prepar...Remover-2.aspx

The redesigned Trim Mate™ Military Crimp Remover—2 speeds up case processing and reduces the amount of primer pocket being cut away.

I use a Hornady case prep trio when just doing a few cases and use a VLD reamer to speed up the cutting and then switch to the RCBS reamer. The Lyman reamer is just used as a GO NO-GO gauge to see if enough crimp has been removed.

And any time you hold a case to prep the primer pocket large batches will give you sore hands and fingers.

And buying bulk pre-processed Lake City brass below is the cure for sore fingers.

.223/5.56 - Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only - 500 Pieces $58.00 Free Shipping
    http://brassbombers.com/223-556-Clea...-2LC-S0050.htm

.223/5.56 - Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only - 500 Pieces
    Last edited by bigedp51; 11-28-17 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Can you chuck that in a drill?
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    Can you chuck that in a drill?
    Yes, you screw the set screw into the reamer in the photo above and then chuck the the rest of it in your drill.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Mark,

I chuck my reamer in a drill as well. I still have to wobble the case to cut off the crimp in order to seat a new primer. It’s seems like the straight part of the reamer is too long and bottoms out in the pocket before the angled portion contacts the crimp to cut it off. It will usually cut part of it out, but not completely, so I’ll have to wobble the case and do it by feel...which I don’t really like for consistency reasons.

But are you suggesting that the primer pocket uniformity isn’t an issue when it comes to accuracy?
    I wonder if you have the exact cutter that I do. Mine bottoms out and puts a nice shiney bevel cut where the crimp was. I've never chased primer pocket uniformity. I don't sense there's enough gain to be had to make it worth the effort. I try to knock out all the "low hanging fruit" before chasing insanity like pocket uniforming and weighing brass, etc.

If I were shooting a set batch of brass in lower volume, I might consider going into the benchrest level of madness. But we're filling ammo cans with 77gr OTMs so we can grab handfuls of it to shoot.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I too have stuck cases using one shot. Avoid as it will bite you eventually.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not only does one shot pump lube suck at lubing, it's also a pain to get off the brass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123