Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking gun case ideas and advise.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

Seeking gun case ideas and advise.

I know a lot of you are proud of your AR-15/M4 but how many of you are equally proud of your gun case? I have a Knights Armament SR-15 MOD 1 with an additional MOD 2 upper, 2 KAC QDC suppressors and I have wanted to put them into a pelican case or similar but afraid that it will not turn out right. I bought a $250 Pelican a while back for a Benelli M4 and screwed it all up trying to cut the foam and now it looks all bootleg. This may sound pretentious but presentation is a high priority to me. I was hoping that you guys could share ideas (photos) or advise on how to cut foam. Pintrest has been a good starting point for me but wanted to ask if any of you have a great setup. These are some ideas that I have gathered. Possibly a Pelican or Hardigg case. I heard using a electric knife or a hot wire cutter is the best method for cutting foam.

Attachment 48863
    Attachment 48864
    Attachment 48865

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I honestly think the foam is stupid. I have a pelican case that I cut with an electric knife and while it turned out okay...it’s not what I would call presentation worthy. The stupid part about the foam is once you cut it, you’re married to it. Change and accessory, stock, optic, whatever and now it doesn’t work anymore. The best solution I’ve come up with besides buying more foam is to just remove all of the foam and replace it with a padded case. It’s far more versatile. I can’t and don’t want to buy a hard case and foam for every rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Are you tied to cutting the foam for your existing case? There is a place that does excellent work outside DC, I'd be surprised if there isn't one in your area as well. And maybe not quite what you're looking for but my tacticaltogo.com case has been pretty awesome, looks like they introduced a much more rugged 20" double long gun case that may be worth checking out.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've cut a few Pelican case foam inserts and always mess them up. There are some companies that will laser cut the foam to your specs. Nice clean edges and a snug fit. It's not cheap but considering the value of what's inside, it's probably not that expensive.

High density foam seems to be a good way to go. It's easier to work with because it's more rigid. Also, it could last longer than traditional foam inserts.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m planning on picking up some SERT soft cases for work. They are designed to fit into Pelican cases depending on model. From what I’ve read, they’re also very nice soft cases for everyday use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    I honestly think the foam is stupid. I have a pelican case that I cut with an electric knife and while it turned out okay...it’s not what I would call presentation worthy. The stupid part about the foam is once you cut it, you’re married to it. Change and accessory, stock, optic, whatever and now it doesn’t work anymore. The best solution I’ve come up with besides buying more foam is to just remove all of the foam and replace it with a padded case. It’s far more versatile. I can’t and don’t want to buy a hard case and foam for every rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My exact experience. After following the pelican instructions with electric knife, result was ok....

Now I am married to the current configuration. Removing the cut out foam and using padded cases is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For range use and better discreet carry I have adopted soft cases like voodoo tactical. The pelican hard case ends up in the checked luggage....

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There is a reason the SERT TCC is designed to fit Pelican cases.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Now those do look very useful.

Feedback Score
    The place is DC Case Center and they do some fantastic work but you're married to the pattern once it's done. http://www.dullescasecenter.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast