Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI'S 'Newest' 9MM Duty Load ?

Feedback Score

FBI'S 'Newest' 9MM Duty Load ?

Good Morning Folks, Just to verify my own observations, exactly which load didnthe FBI 'most recently' adopt for their issue 9mm's ? I've noted that they appear to have decided upon the Speer G2 version 147 GDHP, although I keep running across very recently dated articles that they adopted the Hornandy 'Critical Duty' brand for their issue weapons ? Is it perhaps the Hornandy load for all calibers other than 9mm or did they suddenly decide against Critical Duty loadings ? Any input will be much appreciated. THANKS

Best, dpast32

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    https://press.hornady.com/amp&page=f...uty-ammunition

It’s a .40 S&W round.

Speculation would be to have a similar style round to match the 9mm duty ammo. Not everyone has been issued a 9mm yet.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Article reads more like they simply agreed upon fixed costs rather than making their ammo the new replacement.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    THANKS Gent's. It appeared to be too much of a reversal on the Hornandy loads, as they had only recently been decided upon. I heard some rumors about the Speer 9mm G2 147 gr. load a few years back, but IIRC, it proved not to live up to it's speculation during initial ( independent ) testing. Perhaps they have worked the kinks out, which tends to be SOP whenever new equipment is adopted, be it ammunition, weapons, optics, etc. Many years ago, when the then new 147 JHP's were being touted as the 'wonder load', I personally was not one who supported their use. I just couldn't see when we were bashing the 158 gr. .38 SPL.+P at @ 900 fps, but were pushing a 9mm at 147 gr. at @ 975 fps ? I just couldn't see such a greater increase in effectiveness as to warrant the change over, if not for a systems switch, as in 9mm pistols versus .38 Spl. revolvers. But, times have changed, & sadly so have our collective association with firearms. A great many LE recruits have never even touched, or even viewed a firearm up close, never mind being reasonably familliar with one. So to this dismay of many instructor's, we must cater to the masses & issue a round that can be handled by the majority of recruit personnel, wether we like it or not. At leasts that's the relative concensus I've noted within the field. Personally, I favor any caliber that can perform the job at hand, which is induce the target to cease all resitstance, & submit to arrest, right ? If the new Speer G2 load is capable of such action, so be it, as I too can see the added benefits of a smaller, more user friendly duty load. OK Kids, that's my rant for the morning. THANKS again for the kind replies.

Best, dpast32

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I placed an order on the FBI contract last month for 9mm and 5.56mm. The last contract listed Speer G2 147grain and Winchester Ranger bonded 147grain. As of last month I was informed the contract ceiling for Speer G2 purchases was hit and no more Speer is available for purchase on the FBI contract. The contracting officer told me a new purchase agreement was being worked on for FY18. Interesting to see that Hornady got the 40. David

Feedback Score
    FBI have proven themselves to be bumbling idiots in every thing they do. Why are they given so much credibility with ballistics. Last place I would go for any imformation

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBCDave View Post
    FBI have proven themselves to be bumbling idiots in every thing they do. Why are they given so much credibility with ballistics. Last place I would go for any imformation
    Cool story bro. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBCDave View Post
    Where would you look?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    they stopped using it because they believe it cause the death of two agent, i wonder why use it now ? no solid reason given to te public.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The problem G2 was found to be a manufacturing, not design fault and is fixed. That was three years ago as I recall.

Ballistic gel and testing through barriers, especially 4L denim has taken us out of the dark ages of "knock down power" "one shot stop" "energy" and water jugs. It is a consistent test medium that provides results that have been comparable to actual shootings. Now there is room to debate expansion vs barrier vs penetration and how the FBI can choose a different priority than I do. I chose the better expanding to carry myself, based on my threat assessment.

I believe the FBI uses the two is one method. That means having two loads of similar performance approved in case one has problems or has delivery delays. Hornady CD is one of the better barrier, deeper penetrating loads like G2 so that would make sense.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast