Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with frankengun please

Feedback Score
    Thats what i was thinking. It seems very specialized....... On the cheap. My thought (knowing nothing about high power competition before i read your link) was that someone with access to to machining equipment and tried to set up a competition bench rifle. Poasible to be shot open sight. I could see no other reason for the "muzzle device" or the "mounting rail" epoxied to the receiver. It looks like they took a receiver with a fixed carry handle and chopped the carry handle off (ill get more pics to show) . i was able to get the gas block off. Someone please correct me if im wrong but it looks to be home made as well ( see pic)??? I have not been able to get the muzzle device off. So im not able to get the gas block off the barrel yet. The muzzle device had set screws but Think its also epoxied on so it may take some heat. Not sure what i should do with this thing. Don't want to dump much cash into this thing. I'll try to get some more pics and info on the buffer/spring gas block ect.. Keep the info comming guys. I have no idea what i have on my hands here or if it's worth messing with or if anything is worth stripping off and selling for dope and beer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Any markings on the barrel and what profile?

At one point there really wasn't any flat top uppers around so wondering if that might be fairly old.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Any markings on the barrel and what profile?

At one point there really wasn't any flat top uppers around so wondering if that might be fairly old.
    I cant find any marking on the barrel. I assume they are hidden under the hand guard. I put my caliper on it just in front of the hand guard and it has a .850 diamiter there. The muzzle is turned down to .750 to fit the "muzzle device" or muzzle weight or whatever it is.

Feedback Score
    As others have alluded to that rifle has been set up for XTC or prone highpower events. Its meant for shooting with open sights and a sling. This is very different than a bench rifle. The "weight" you speak of is called a handstop. Its adjusts to fit for your gloved hand as you're in a sling. The rear base setup is for an aperture sight, similar to a Lipski base, and could possibly be a bubba'd Lipski. The front sight mount appears dovetailed to accept a corresponding front aperture sight. Take a look at any of the aperture sights like Gehmann or Phoenix and you'll get the idea.
    Last edited by crayon43; 12-06-17 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crayon43 View Post
    As others have alluded to that rifle has been set up for XTC or prone highpower events. Its meant for shooting with open sights and a sling. This is very different than a bench rifle. The "weight" you speak of is called a handstop. Its adjusts to fit for your gloved hand as you're in a sling. The rear base setup is for an aperture sight, similar to a Lipski base, and could possibly be a bubba'd Lipski. The front sight mount appears dovetailed to accept a corresponding front aperture sight. Take a look at any of the aperture sights like Gehmann or Phoenix and you'll get the idea.
    Thanks for the info. Good to know this mad scientist had a plan well building this rifle. I cut the glued on hand guard off to get a look at the gas system and the barrel. No makers mark on the barrel. Gass block looks to be home made but i could be wrong. After deer season i will mess around with it more and see if i can get it to cycle.

Feedback Score
    What in gods name is that? That’s got to be the ugliest piece of crap I’ve ever seen.
    Last edited by Glock9mm1990; 12-07-17 at 01:04.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt91123 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Good to know this mad scientist had a plan well building this rifle. I cut the glued on hand guard off to get a look at the gas system and the barrel. No makers mark on the barrel. Gass block looks to be home made but i could be wrong. After deer season i will mess around with it more and see if i can get it to cycle.
    It's possible the block is simply not aligned over the port.... or... the port was drilled small to start with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123