Recently, I've been party to a discussion regarding church security. With the latest active shooter events in several churches, I have heard a lot of folks pushing for a consultation with one of the companies who "specialize" in church security. At first glance, it sounds logical, but after giving it some thought, I have questions. What makes church security so unique, and why must there be a "specialty?" How is securing a church so much different than securing a school or store or office building? Some of the initial information I've seen and heard seems almost gimmicky, so maybe someone can help me understand.

For the record, I have no dogs in the fight. I attend a very small church, and we have (IMO) a pretty solid plan for our size. I've been speaking with others who attend larger congregations.

Also for the record, I have a pretty solid base of knowledge and experience with general physical security and security plans. While the church I attend now is small, I have been a member of several larger churches before, so I am pretty familiar with what [I believe] the requirements would be.