Thread: Probably silly question but....

Feedback Score

Probably silly question but....

Hey guys... With the long ass wait now with trusts and lovely 41F rules, quick question.. Every NFA item I have has been done under a trust. I was planning on picking up another can this next year, is there any issues if I purchase it as an individual instead of using my trust? From what I've seen , trusts are now pushing a year, and individual submissions moving much quicker. My wife is listed on my trust, but she is never in possession of anything without me shooting also..What say you? Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would personally keep it on the trust Dave...others more versed on the topic can confirm, but it is my understanding the new form with the barcode is going to help with improved times.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    I would personally keep it on the trust Dave...others more versed on the topic can confirm, but it is my understanding the new form with the barcode is going to help with improved times.
    The new bar code is something I thought only Silencer shop had.

And it only speeds up time to input stuff into the computer. Other then that everything else is pretty much the same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Probably silly question but....

Silencer Shop is kind enough to provide a Form 4 filler that anyone can use. Even if your dealer is not a SS partner, they can (and probably should) use it.

With that said, to answer your first question... I did one can individual after the 41F/P change, and then I decided a second Trust was worth the cash. So two trusts, but my second one is more modern and more limited right now, with only me as a responsible person.
    Last edited by sandsunsurf; 11-26-17 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    Using a trust still has advantages, but there are reasons to do individual now as well.

The wait times on trusts are still very long...two to three times the wait for an individual. My solution for one high dollar item was to do an individual transfer, to get it in my hands quicker, and once I have it and can enjoy it, I'll transfer it to a trust. Some of the most important advantages to a trust are still there, it's just not as good of a workaround as it used to be.

FWIW, I used the Silencer Shop form 4, and imported into an online PDF editor and inserted my photo into the document (only because I don't have the whiz-bang version of Adobe that would allow me to do this without using the online PDF editor)... this saves having 'passport' photos taken.

Overall, it wasn't too painful.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post

My solution for one high dollar item was to do an individual transfer, to get it in my hands quicker, and once I have it and can enjoy it, I'll transfer it to a trust. Some of the most important advantages to a trust are still there, it's just not as good of a workaround as it used to be.

Doesn't this still involve paying another $200 tax stamp for each item?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's pros and cons. I already had an SBR and two cans under a trust that I started years ago but decided to go individual on my latest two forms due to the shorter wait times and to avoid the post-41f hassle of questionnaires and having to fingerprint and photograph responsible parties, etc. It's really up to you if the new hoops you have to jump through are still worth keeping everything under a trust or not. To me, it wasn't.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks for the info guys. I was wondering if it would cause any hiccups with ATF...I'm at 6 months now on a trust submitted form 1, but I am building a precision rifle for PRS stuff and really dont want to wait a year or more for a suppressor...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    All of my NFA stuff is on my trust. I bought a can last month and decided to go the individual route because I wanted it faster. We will see how it works out.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    Doesn't this still involve paying another $200 tax stamp for each item?
    It does.