Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning how to gunsmith 1911

Feedback Score
    Funny - I logged in to ask a similar question and this was on top.

I might own a file and be able to assemble an AR-15, detail strip a Glock or change my oil - but that’s the limits of my handwork, total newbie to filing and fitting and machine tools.

Who offers the best novice courses? The NRA summer programs? I’ve looked at C&S, Vickers, Garthwaite, Rodgers who all offer a five day type course, but don’t want to waste time (including my own) since I’m starting from zero.

Feedback Score
    I did not have any experience other than Glock armorer before attending the C&S course. I will say that early in my life I was an electronics technician in the Navy where I repaired electro-mechanical devices and circuit boards with small tools and Dremels. Bill suggest that you get a file and practice filing by making a piece of round steel stock into a square. This is truly dexterity type skills. You will do most all fitting by hand filing. Polishing with jigs and drill. You would get the skills with the 5 day course as a start. You will not be running milling machines. Bushing fittings are taken down with a hand drill jig. I really got better in working up a second gun after the class. If you are dedicated to 1911s it makes sense to invest in the school. I built a second gun up and it seems they are safe queens. I very much enjoyed learning how to work on them as it lends to other things like fitting dove tail sights on other guns etc. I carry and shoot 9mm Glocks in competition these days due to limited time. My wife operates Glocks as well so I can trust she can pick up anything I have on me if necessary.

Feedback Score
    Thanks - that is exactly the sort of info I needed. I can add soldering to my list of can-do...

Feedback Score
    Guys, I do not do any pistolsmithing classes.
    You are thinking of my buddy Bob Rodgers @ www.RodgersPistolsmithing.com
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The classes I know of are the NRA Summer Course, C&S and Bob Rodgers who's in the sticks of Idaho. I was planning on taking a course from him but his classes fill fast and my schedule is pretty locked in.

Fromwhat I understand, Bob is offerring classes 4x per year for a max of 3 students each.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 01-09-18 at 06:10.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Guys, I do not do any pistolsmithing classes.
    You are thinking of my buddy Bob Rodgers @ www.RodgersPistolsmithing.com
    Chuck I love your guns. You would have classes fill up left and right if you did offer them.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    Chuck I love your guns. You would have classes fill up left and right if you did offer them.
    I think 1911 gunsmithing is a dying art, just like revolver gunsmithing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check out Lassen Community College, they have summer classes for areas of gunsmithing.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This popped up from Rifle Dynamics recommendation:

http://chamberscustom.com/1911-university/
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Could be considered spendy, but if you are wrenching on your own guns it is probably worth it.

https://www.americangunsmith.com/app...olsmith-Course
    They also offer this as an introductory option plus 3 more toward the bottom of this page. I don't know anything about them but all together they're a little less than 1/4 the total cost.

https://www.americangunsmith.com/app...5-Auto-Pistols
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast