Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning how to gunsmith 1911

Feedback Score

Learning how to gunsmith 1911

Like the title says, are there good ways to learn how to gunsmith/build a 1911?

I keep looking for smiths willing to teach, but no luck around me.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Good start point is to get Jerry(?) Kunhausen’s 1911 manual.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Brownell's has good info and references on their website. Also convenient their is a huge catalog of books, parts and tools for purchase.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^True.
    Or, you can trash umpteen dollars in parts/slides/frames/etc.

I was fortunate to have a grumpy, ex AMU armorer and former Bullseye competitor that tolerated me hovering as he worked.
    Still- good reference material is not a waste.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The NRA sponsors summer gunsmithing classes at various community colleges and trade schools around the country. A 1911 class of some kind is always offered be it truing, accurizing, etc. I’ve taken a few and enjoyed them. Small class size, quality instruction and affordable.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Kunhausen books are a good start for a basic understanding. Techniques in there are outdated but the principles are correct.

I took the class Larry Vickers does from time to time. After spending a few years tinkering, the class eliminated all the mystery for me. It was one week immersed in it, 5 students. Expensive and worth it.

I am not a paid gunsmith. My regular job pays me too well to make that switch. But I know how to build a 1911 right. Not at the master level of course but accurate and reliable I can do.

And I can spot and correct the common errors because of my training.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 11-27-17 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    Aside from getting the manuals, I will search around for someone to teach me. Wish me luck.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Could be considered spendy, but if you are wrenching on your own guns it is probably worth it.

https://www.americangunsmith.com/app...olsmith-Course
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    Im not sure if Chuck Rogers/Rogers Precision is still doing his classes, I think it is (or was) 5 days in length with a scratch build, costs a few thousand dollars and has a extensive/expensive list of tools you have to bring.

Feedback Score
    I would recommend looking at Cylinder & Slide with Bill Laudridge. I took the first 1911 course with him. Involved a lot of hand fitting and polishing of parts for reliability, trigger work, extractor tuning, barrel link replacement for better lockup, bushing fitting etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast