Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Case body resizing issue

Feedback Score
    I'm sorry to take this further off track, but I gotta ask you guys running expander mandrels...

1. Are you expanding after dumping powder? I have an RL550B, and my vague plan was that after sizing/trimming on a single stage, I would load in one tool head, so #1 decap/prime, #2 powder, #3 seat bullet, #4 crimp. I guess I could skip the crimp and run the expander as #3 and seat bullets at #4...

2. Is there a better/best mandrel die? Or are they all about the same?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I'm sorry to take this further off track, but I gotta ask you guys running expander mandrels...

1. Are you expanding after dumping powder? I have an RL550B, and my vague plan was that after sizing/trimming on a single stage, I would load in one tool head, so #1 decap/prime, #2 powder, #3 seat bullet, #4 crimp. I guess I could skip the crimp and run the expander as #3 and seat bullets at #4...

The expander die would go before dumping powder. Otherwise it will probably hit the powder. I'm using the Lyman M-Die, same one as BigEd posted. It expands the neck only 1 thousandth for me which is perfect. I only run it partially inside the case mouth with some dry powder lube, not all the way to the step because I don't need to flare the mouth. I'm getting pretty much zero runout and like MarkM says, the cases aren't growing hardly at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    The expander die would go before dumping powder.
    Short of upgrading to an XL650 (five stations), how would I do this on a RL550B, with only four stations?

Feedback Score
    Short of upgrading to an XL650 (five stations), how would I do this on a RL550B, with only four stations?
    I'll defer to a more experienced dillon user for this question. A seat/crimp die would accomplish this goal, but I'm not sure if they are any good at seating or crimping. Stage 1-decap/prime/resize, 2-Lyman M, 3-powder, 4-seat/crimp.

Feedback Score
    On the RL550B the powder drop is always station #2...

It does occur to me that if I decap and size when I trim (separately, beforehand), then I could put a neck expander in position #1, and prime there, too...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not sure how markm does his, but I size and expand my necks on a separate press. I also hand prime, everything. Station 1 on my Dillon is empty when doing 223.

edit: I too do my 223 on a 550B

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Not sure how markm does his, but I size and expand my necks on a separate press. I also hand prime, everything. Station 1 on my Dillon is empty when doing 223.

edit: I too do my 223 on a 550B
    Exactly how I do it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

De-cap on the single stage with a universal de-cap die then run your other steps. Better yet, just set up a brass prep toolhead for your RL550B that de-caps at #1 then has your sizing die in 2, 3, or 4. Then trim.

Final load toolhead will hold your expander mandrel die at station #1. Then final load stations as normal.

That is how I run my XL650. Brass prep toolhead with universal de-cap at #1, Dillon size/trim die at #4 with an RT1500 trimmer mounted on the size/trim die. Cases then go to final wash in SS media, knocks any burrs or trimmer flashing off, and case lube, also cleans primer pockets.

Then final load with an expander at 1, powder at 2, powder check probe at 3, seating die at 4, crimp die (if desired) at 5.

A bit of experimentation will yield a trim length that will account for any minimal neck growth the expander die/mandrel imparts.

Feedback Score
    On a Dillion 650, if you trim at station 3 it leaves enough room for an expander mandrel at station 5.
    This is the way I run it and it works well.

At least till I upgrade to a 1050 with a Mark 7 autodrive.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys!

It's this kind of good advice that keeps me coming back here...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast