Thread: Remington 700 .308 To 6.5 CM

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Remington 700 .308 To 6.5 CM

I’ve decided to jump on the 6.5 CM bandwagon. I’m kicking around a few options. One of them being this: I have a Remington 700 in .308. Would it be possible to convert it by buying a 6.5 CM barrel and having it installed by a gunsmith? Would there be any other work needed besides that? Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Good equipment is no substitute for good training.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I did that exact same thing a couple years ago. I'd recommend having the action blueprinted and trued at the same time as the barrel installation so you get the most for your money. An aftermarket bolt handle is desirable as well since they'll have the gun already.

I had mine done by Longrifles Inc and couldn't be happier with the results. Chad is great to work with and his turnaround was a fraction of the estimates I got from other shops.

https://www.longriflesinc.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Did you have to get another bolt for it or is the barrel the only part you had to buy?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went through the mental exercise of re-barreling a Rem 700 from 308 to 6.5cm a few years ago. After looking at having the action work done at the same time, barrel work, getting everything coated, etc... it was cheaper or about the same to just sell the gun and buy something else with a better action. And that was a gun that had a Badger 20moa base on it sitting in a $1000 chassis(so no bedding was required) with a Timney trigger. So all I was looking at was action work, barrel work, and coating. If you need a stock, bedding, etc... just add to the bill.

I ended up moving away from the bolt gun and building a big frame AR in 6.5c and it runs with the bolts, but was not cheap.
    Last edited by rjacobs; 11-28-17 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    Did you have to get another bolt for it or is the barrel the only part you had to buy?
    Only had to buy the barrel. I changed out every other piece of the gun anyway, but that was personal choice.