Thread: Two for flinching

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetonbrown View Post
    I don't like the ball and dummy drill, and neither does the Rogers shooting school.

I have found this to work well for people who have problems getting the bullet go where they want it to.

https://youtu.be/NxyTFzgWjhk

Seek competent instruction.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    When I was at Roger's, Bill Rogers suggested that the way to do ball and dummy drills is to load the mags in a pattern so the shooter knows where the dummy round is - live, dummy, live, dummy, and so on or maybe live, live, dummy, live, live, dummy, live, live.

Similar to the drill your posted from Sig.

For the OP, what I would do is spend a lot of time dry firing - but use several distinct methods. Pistol clear, no ammo or mags in room, safe backstop, no one else in proximity etc.

Specific to Glock or similar striker-fired pistol.

1) Take a seat. Basically, you are going to sit on a chair, hold the pistol, in a good shooting grip, muzzle pointed down, at floor, between your lega. Dry fire in this manner - finger out of trigger guard, acquire trigger, take slack/pre-travel out, stop. Finger out of trigger guard and repeat. Do this about a dozen times. Focus on a tight grip, as tight as you can w/o the gun shaking. You should hear no clicks, no should you have to reset the action. The goal is to ingrain in you the process of taking slack/pre-travel out of the trigger for the first shot.

After you've done this a dozen or so times, it is time to strand up. Double check no ammo and no mags (I have steel mags for dryfire).

2) From the compressed ready at a blank wall. Pistol in solid two hand grip, as you press out to full extension, at the point your barrel is level and aligned on target, move your finger into the trigger guard, find the trigger and take out the slack/pre-travel. This should occur as you reach full extension. Recover and repeat at least a dozen times. There should be no clicks and no need to reset the action.

Take a break. And then take a seat. Clear the room, weapon, mags, etc. if you left the area.

3) We are going to start with the trigger on the finger, slack/pre-travel out position. Grip tight, gun muzzle down between legs, close your eyes and focus on what the trigger is doing, how much movement there is until the striker snaps. Make sure you focus on stopping the press as soon as the break occurs. The press should be smooth and steady, the striker's snap should be a surprize. Reset the action and repeat until you know the feel.

4) Repeat the elements of drill #2 except the final stage of the trigger press should begin as you reach full extension. Do it slowly and deliberately. Reset the action and repeat. Focus on grip, and not pressing through the break. Once again the press should be smooth and steady, the striker's snap should be a surprise. Don't try to build speed yet.

You'll notice we have not done anything about resetting for the second shot. That is because, in my experience, beginning/improperly trained shooters almost always lunge through the first shot on the Glock. The first shot from the holster is the shot that stops the threat - it needs to be a hit.

If we've done our homework, we have already learned where the reset point is on the Glock, it is the same position we went to to remove the slack/pre-travel. And we have begun to train ourselves to not press/push on the dead trigger after the shot has broke. So now we are going to to work on going to reset.

5) Make sure everything is clear as before. Sit down. Shooting grip, muzzle down between legs. We are going to start from the slack/pre-travel out position, press through until the striker snaps, then stop, Cycle the action, then let the finger come out until the action resets -you should hear and feel the 'click.' Repeat the process. Close your eyes, focus on what the trigger feels like, as you press the striker's snap should be a surprise. Do this until you feel comfortable that the process is ingrained.

Now we are ready to dry fire on a target.

6) Repeat drill four with the same focuses, except instead of a blank wall focus on a target. (I like to use an enlarged copy of an ace of spades) The front sight should be sharp and clear, and not move as the striker snaps. After you are comfortable and achieving good results start presenting from the holster - remember the finger doesn't come onto the trigger until the bore of the pistol is indexed on the target. As I mentioned earlier, we are working on the most critical shot of the encounter - the first shot which should be the fight stopper, not a miss.

7) Repeat drill 5 except, focusing on the target. Same focuses.

As you build confidence in your abilities during dry-fire you can build speed. Don't ever get sloppy. Slow down and repeat the process until you regain solid form.

This process has worked to improve numerous struggling shooters performance during in-service courses I have given. Normally about 1 to 1.5 hours on the dry drills before moving to live fire.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-29-17 at 00:14.