Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two for flinching

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Two for flinching

I'm a flincher. I admit it. Admitting one has a problem is the first step toward correcting it.

It was apparent today shooting when pressing the trigger on an unexpected empty chamber (G17 with Pyramid trigger and G19 G5 with stock trigger) as the gun dropped about a half-inch at the muzzle.

How does one overcome anticipating the trigger break? Wwhat sort of practice or drills can I run to rid myself of this "condition"?

NC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i make my son dry fire on target interspersed with live rounds to help his anticipation. anytime he flinches, it's back to a dozen dry fires.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    I'm a flincher. I admit it. Admitting one has a problem is the first step toward correcting it.

It was apparent today shooting when pressing the trigger on an unexpected empty chamber (G17 with Pyramid trigger and G19 G5 with stock trigger) as the gun dropped about a half-inch at the muzzle.

How does one overcome anticipating the trigger break? Wwhat sort of practice or drills can I run to rid myself of this "condition"?

NC
    Ball and dummy drills.

Feedback Score

NC
    I'm curious what is said here as well. I myself shoot high and left with every handgun I own, wether 5.7 or a G19. I never have had formal training but I like to think I shoot quite often.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Ball and dummy drills.
    Besides me being the dummy, what is a ball and dummy drill?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Besides me being the dummy, what is a ball and dummy drill?
    Standby, let me find a decent video.

No good ones that really explain it how I was taught. But basically, if you have a friend with you, have them load your magazine or do it one round at a time. They will either load it with a dummy round or a live one, and the intent is for you to not know. To add an element of accountability, you can work this to a goal of 10 live rounds fired on a target like a B-8 and add up for score, or even make it more difficult by working from the holster with a timer while shooting groups for score. Make them shoot as many dry fires with dummy rounds as necessary to reinforce good trigger control.

If you don't have a training partner, you can do the same by loading a stack of magazines randomly with ball and dummy rounds and working groups.
    Last edited by GTF425; 11-28-17 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Ball and dummy will help you to recognize it and focus on the individual pulls. If I’m alone and need to randomize it I’ll grab a few mags, a handful of dummy rounds, and a box of ammo. Dump the ammo on to a clean surface, mix in the dummy rounds, and randomly load the magazines, some to capacity, some not. Shoot them slow to focus on trigger control, then shoot them fast with reloads in other drills to see how you do under pressure.

Here’s a great video from Paul Harrell that shows how it looks in practice, albeit with a revolver. Start at 3:08, or watch the whole series if you want:

Feedback Score
    The only way I’ve found to really eliminate it is a lot of dry fire, like 5mins per day, and a lot of live fire. If I shoot at least once per week, 200rds or so, it seems to keep me used to the shooting enough I don’t flinch. Any time I take off for a few weeks, it comes back intermittently.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milgauss223 View Post
    I never have had formal training but I like to think I shoot quite often.
    (1) Get some good formal training. You shoot high and left, not the weapons.
    (2) Anyone can shoot "quite often", but just putting rounds downrange won't make you a good, or even average shooter.

Feedback Score
    I don't like the ball and dummy drill, and neither does the Rogers shooting school.

I have found this to work well for people who have problems getting the bullet go where they want it to.

https://youtu.be/NxyTFzgWjhk

Seek competent instruction.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast