Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Is vegetarianism the natural option?"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

"Is vegetarianism the natural option?"

The answer to that Q is no. However, I thought this author did a commendable job of discussing the debate between the two sides worth a read.

Cliffs:

• Human ancestors have been shown to have been eating meat millions of years ago and humans (Homo sapiens) have been eating meat as long as there have been humans, but that does not mean we need it per se to be healthy.

• Humans are not vegetarian animals but true omnivores

"In the world of nutrition, there's no debate as fiery and fierce as the one between meat eaters and vegetarians. In this Spotlight feature, we ask whether or not humans were designed to be vegetarian.

Some people choose a plant-based diet for health reasons, while others do so with more ethical concerns in mind. On the other side of the dinner plate, some meat lovers put little thought into whether they should or shouldn't eat meat, while others will defend their right to chow down on animal muscles until the end of time.

Passions can run surprisingly high when it comes to dietary decisions. Food is a matter of survival, and deep down in our primate brain, we still feel that we need to defend our food sources."

Cont

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...m_medium=gplus
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-29-17 at 10:30.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Homo sapiens didn't exist millions of years ago.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Homo sapiens didn't exist millions of years ago.
    I was trying to keep it nice and simple, but edited per your comment.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I was trying to keep it nice and simple, but edited per your comment.
    Haha sorry, sir. The edit is appreciated. Good stuff as usual.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The whole "debate" is tempest/teapot. Clearly, humans have evolved to be omnivores. The vegetarianism "movement" is a socially-mediated curiosity, not evolutionary design.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    The whole "debate" is tempest/teapot. Clearly, humans have evolved to be omnivores. The vegetarianism "movement" is a socially-mediated curiosity, not evolutionary design.
    Obviously I fully agree with you. I think we can say humans don't require meat at this point to be healthy however, which is a different issue. Personally, I will always remain and omnivore and being a vegetarian even lower on my list than giving up coffee....
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Pretty sure I have a family line that evolved to be Meat & Caffeine dependant.
    I get a kick out of folks who want to regulate other folks dietary habits to please their own conscience.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't give it too much thought. I eat everything except for bugs! If I could get over the creepiness of bugs I'd probably eat them too.

I simply try to eat well rounded meals and have a little of everything. In my fridge you'll find everything from beef, lamb, poultry and pork to seafood, caviar, salmon, tuna, red snapper, tofu, escargot, greens, kale....yes kale, nuts, apples, grapefruits, dragonfruit, red potatoes, purple potatoes, sweet potatoes...etc.. I'm not very picky and just about everything tastes good.

For lunch today I have an apple, seaweed salad and a pork roll thing stuffed with apples and mushrooms.

The only thing I stay away from is fast food restaurants. Haven't had a BK, Wendy's, McDonald's in probably a decade. And the last time I did I was starving and had no choice. Also don't buy or drink sodas. Maybe once a year at a restaurant or at a party. Completely indifferent to soda drinks and would rather have a good beer .

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    The only thing I stay away from is fast food restaurants. Haven't had a BK, Wendy's, McDonald's in probably a decade. And the last time I did I was starving and had no choice. Also don't buy or drink sodas. Maybe once a year at a restaurant or at a party. Completely indifferent to soda drinks and would rather have a good beer .
    I drink soda without concern, but prefer diet Coke. I too would rather have a beer, but they don't sell beer at McDonald's or Burger King.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My parents never really bought sodas so I kinda grew up the same way. Plus I don't drink with food and I have this view of soda as a children's beverage, something for kids. Kinda like sprinkles and gummy bears! If that makes sense.

I have a diet Coke sitting in my garage from when I had friends over a few months ago and we ordered food. It come free with the food but we all drank beers. Still unopened and probably the first in a few years

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 11-30-17 at 12:03.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast