Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying an AR "pistol" in a vehicle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I'm a fan of the drive-by kit by RE Factor. Fits on the headrest, can be mounted to Molle webbing as well. 2AR mags, handguns mags, medical kit, etc. It's very versatile.

I also carry my Tavor, and sometimes my AR pistol in a Wilson tennis racket bag, where there are pouches you can put extra mags in. It's discreet. Although mine is a tad wider than this one;

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/tennis/b...k-white-3-pack

https://www.refactortactical.com/col...nt=37069643082
    While I love the Drive By's concept, I think it's a terrible idea if you live in a non-rural area...that's just asking for a smash-and-grab. A headrest is just about the highest-profile spot to mount something. And leaving the AR mags exposed like that just screams "I have a gun".
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    While I love the Drive By's concept, I think it's a terrible idea if you live in a non-rural area...that's just asking for a smash-and-grab. A headrest is just about the highest-profile spot to mount something. And leaving the AR mags exposed like that just screams "I have a gun".
    Of course. You have to be smart about it. Window tint, drive a truck that doesn't sit like a car, etc. It sits low enough on most headrests that you can't see mags from the front generally, and you don't always have to have rifle mags sitting in the pouches either.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Of course. You have to be smart about it. Window tint, drive a truck that doesn't sit like a car, etc. It sits low enough on most headrests that you can't see mags from the front generally, and you don't always have to have rifle mags sitting in the pouches either.
    I live 25 minutes from town on top of a mountain, so break ins aren't really a concern. That piece of kit looks great for my mag needs, now I just have to solve the gun storage issue. I can envision exactly what I want but I'm not sure it exists.

Feedback Score
    I just picked up a pro guard rack on eBay for $50 that I'm going to install in my trunk. Got it in yesterday, my scope is too wide and the rail is too long so I'm going to have to make some new brackets where the rifle rests in the rack. The lock part works just fine and the mounting bracket looks good to go as well. Figure it'll cost me another $20-30 to make it what it needs to be for my rifle. I'm guessing it's made for a front sight post rifle with a very short rail and not a full length rail. No huge issue, for the price I'm okay with having to make 2 brackets for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    Lately I've been debating building a "pistol" to keep as a truck gun. The only issue is where to store it in the vehicle. I drive a single cab truck so space is tight and I don't want it out in the open.

Ideally I'd like some sort of rig to hold the gun plus a couple mags on the back of my seat, so that in the event I needed it access would be quick.

Does anyone know of such an item? Or have other suggestions?
    Maybe something like this - either mounted vertical as pictured, or horizontal.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/sig-..._19_26435.html

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/VISM-NcStar-T.../dp/B005OAA9VG

or this:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/31...bbard-31-nylon

I ass-u-me since it is a single cab that the seat back folds forward, or will you have to slide the seat forward to get to the pistol?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Maybe something like this - either mounted vertical as pictured, or horizontal.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/sig-..._19_26435.html

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/VISM-NcStar-T.../dp/B005OAA9VG

or this:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/31...bbard-31-nylon

I ass-u-me since it is a single cab that the seat back folds forward, or will you have to slide the seat forward to get to the pistol?
    The Dillon product might be the ticket. My seat folds forward so access would be relatively fast.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    I hear ya, it’s a mess of ambiguous legalese. In MN, other than a legally carried pistol, all weapons must be transported unloaded, out of reach inside a case. SBRs not excepted.
    It's something that we've been forced to accept, sadly.

Have heard of people Off-Body carry concealed AR pistols and such.

In all honesty, I keep extra loaded mags for my glock. I also keep a set of amplified HP, a small ditch bag with a pieced together trauma kit. Our snow kit has food, warmth kit, and snow melting kit. Keep a couple frozen water bottles (left overs from the summer).

In normal, day to day, I can deploy my CCW way faster than I could a stored ARpistol. I have traveled with my AR pistol in a case, as discussed in other forums, but it was never my "go-to", I always travel with the glock too. But, I always know, traveling or not, if I have to fight to my rifle Sh** has Gone Sideways in ways beyond control.

Statistically, as a work at home person who lives in the relative rural environment that very rarely goes into the concentrated epicenter of Duluth (which is a pretty safe place to live), is very unlikely. So, I devote most of my training to the Glock.

Although, I did go into Canal Park for our Bentleyville Christmas Tour of Lights. Good crowds, but damn does it make it a fun experience playing the awareness game.

Nonetheless, and back to the real point, Minnesota has hoops to jump through for this, for sure; but I know a couple friends who have for their own entertainment.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 11-30-17 at 11:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    Lately I've been debating building a "pistol" to keep as a truck gun. The only issue is where to store it in the vehicle. I drive a single cab truck so space is tight and I don't want it out in the open.

Ideally I'd like some sort of rig to hold the gun plus a couple mags on the back of my seat, so that in the event I needed it access would be quick.

Does anyone know of such an item? Or have other suggestions?
    If you are really asking this ? then maybe you need to re-consider what you carry. Smh

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    In lieu of leaving an AR in a vic, why not carry a handgun, and keep a spare mag, or hi-cap in the vic?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by botas.45 View Post
    If you are really asking this ? then maybe you need to re-consider what you carry. Smh

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Want to add something valid to the conversation?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast