Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for good AK74 mags?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf.545 x .39 View Post
    Yeah a lot of guys say that 5.45x.39 round is what the AR15 should have been. Of course there are great bullet choices in 5.56 but in 5.45 7n6 is all one needs. The way it Tumble's is frightening and when that long thin bullet hits it acts like a knife once it hits the body. That's why Im buying another AK74 and down the road another AR15.

I'll be honest, I didn't like 5.45 at first because the surplus was corrosive and I argued against it because I knew the supply could be cut off at any time. However because the surplus round uses mercuric primers along with being sealed in tins- the ammo lasts forever. It's also relatively easy to clean, in the field you just bore snake it and wipe down the bolt, piston head- then rinse everything with water when available. However the mags and ammo were cheap back then so I just said, well this is the last time we'll have anything like this- so I stacked it deep. I'm still shooting what I bought about decade ago. Now I already had AR's and I had SLR 106's so accuracy wasn't what I was going for but it turned out to be a fairly accurate little round. It wasn't until much later when there were videos being posted of various gel block tests, shooting through wood, steel plates that I realized the properties of the bullet make it probably one of the best available for the money. It over stabilizes when it hits a hard surface in order to punch through but because of the air pocket- it will quickly destabilizes when it hits a softer material. It might not fragment but then again, if the round is spinning end over end retaining all it's mass- then it's just going to going to mess some things up. Seeing pictures of deer and stuff shot with it- it's like a buzz saw went through them. Even the non steel core rounds perform better than most other rounds. MAC did a video where he shot a 30" diameter tree with lead core 5.56, 5.45, 7.62x39 and .308- but only the 5.45 went through hitting the target on the other side. So that being said, it's a cool niche caliber.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 11-30-17 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    Man, I didn't realize that my AK74 magazines are worth so much. I started buying them when the East German ones could be had for $1.99 each in the wrap. If I remember correctly, this was prior to any AK74's being imported. Prices went up a little after that, but I bought a bunch from Ohio Rapid Fire along with a stack of kits. Now if I only had more time to build rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Man, I didn't realize that my AK74 magazines are worth so much. I started buying them when the East German ones could be had for $1.99 each in the wrap. If I remember correctly, this was prior to any AK74's being imported. Prices went up a little after that, but I bought a bunch from Ohio Rapid Fire along with a stack of kits. Now if I only had more time to build rifles.
    I also purchased a few E.G. mags when they were priced at around the same for a bag of peanuts. I purchased a few because they looked kewl.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post

East German's went to the high price back then of $19.95 for a rain pattern camo pouch, four bakelite magazines, a gray pouch with cleaning kit, and a blank adapter- all wrapped in a heavy yellow plastic military bags brand new. My stash is probably worth some bucks as well.

7n6

Feedback Score

AK74 Mags

The days of cheap AK74 mags. are gone. I can remember buying EG bakelites for $3 back in the day. Aim Surplus currently has Russian bakelites for $30, which is a decent deal, in the current market.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...zine&groupid=6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12