Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army fields SIG M17 & M18 pistols

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    It didn’t look much better than most of the civilians on the public range.

At least there wasn’t any of this going on:
    Pistol time does not figure prominently in most conventional units' training plans. There's also not a lot of institutional knowledge on handgun technique.

The Soldier in that photo does not appear to be from a unit that does much shooting of any kind.

Despite the press and shooting community attention, it's probably the least important weapon in the inventory. Not an excuse for the poor training quality, but it's often a casualty when you are already struggling to find time to meet individual and team certification on scores of other things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrs View Post
    Pistol time does not figure prominently in most conventional units' training plans. There's also not a lot of institutional knowledge on handgun technique.

The Soldier in that photo does not appear to be from a unit that does much shooting of any kind.

Despite the press and shooting community attention, it's probably the least important weapon in the inventory. Not an excuse for the poor training quality, but it's often a casualty when you are already struggling to find time to meet individual and team certification on scores of other things.
    I think the bigger problem is not that there are soldiers what suck at pistol craft, like the soldiers in the M17 rollout video or the picture of the General I posted, but rather the Army’s PR sucks. Releasing video like that showing sloppy shooting is not professional. Big Army needs do a better job at controlling its public image when rolling out a new weapon system. If I were in charge I would be furious at whoever let that picture of the General be published. It not only makes the Army look dumb, that General got lambasted by the public. Subordinates need to make those in command look good. What kind of confidence in your leadership does that inspire in your men? Controlling your public image is super important these days. Most 13 year olds on Facebook do a better job PRing themselves and making themselves look cooler than they really are.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    The Army bought new pistols. Not pistol training.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrs View Post

The soldier in that photo is a GO.

We're a long way from General Patton and his ivory-gripped Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum "Killing Gun".
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    The Army bought new pistols. Not pistol training.
    And boy do I wish we’d have gone the other way with that money.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    And boy do I wish we’d have gone the other way with that money.
    Same.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I understand the need to have pistols in inventory. And basic training, etc. And for certain units/missions to have them.

Tankers, engineers, pilots, etc to have a weapon on hand when their doing their primary role? Makes sense.

But I don't understand the "Dual arming down to team leader level" mindset for Infantry line troops.

Unless they added it in the last couple of months, apparently there is no pistol presence in mainstream IN tactics training, nor in their primary role.

I'm all for the troops having another tool in their tool kit to use when needed. If the M9 is worn out or obsolete, no problem.

I don't understand the decision to issue to line troops, especially without additional training, Etc.

Is this intended to be a solution to some perceived "I'm too busy with maps and radios to carry a carbine" issue in the field?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Aside from specific weapon system’s being ‘broken’, the biggest limfac is training for regular .mil units.

It’s not sexy to spend $XYZ extra cash on ‘training’ or ‘optar’ for more flight time - it is sexy to have new ‘things’ (pistols rifles planes).

Plus those ‘things’ will always be owned by generals / admirals, regardless of how poorly they are treated - the individuals with ‘training’ will leave when that happens.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 12-05-17 at 06:10.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Truth #1: Humans are more important than hardware.

That money could have bought a $&@#-ton of bullets. But surely that time is better spent on sensitivity training, so lets buy new guns and holsters instead.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That video is another example of why you should never assume someone is a weapons expert or even proficient for that matter just because they served.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Truth #1: Humans are more important than hardware.

That money could have bought a $&@#-ton of bullets. But surely that time is better spent on sensitivity training, so lets buy new guns and holsters instead.
    Yup, this is a huge waste to taxpayer money..IMO, there wasn't a thing wrong with the M9, except the army is'nt serious about training people how to use and maintain it, (the above pic is a classic example). It's going to be interesting to see how the new Sig holds up to the same lack of maintence,abuse, that the M9 got..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast