Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army fields SIG M17 & M18 pistols

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Yup, this is a huge waste to taxpayer money..IMO, there wasn't a thing wrong with the M9, except the army is'nt serious about training people how to use and maintain it, (the above pic is a classic example). It's going to be interesting to see how the new Sig holds up to the same lack of maintence,abuse, that the M9 got..
    Pretty much this. While a lot of people bitched, the Glock not getting adopted was the best thing ever for its reputation cuz after 10 years you'd have people screaming bout what pieces of junk they were when failures started occuring because no PM was done, mags were trashed, and it was being cleaned so hard the finished had been scrubbed off.
    That said if the pistol trials had ended like tge rifle trials with no adoption we'd probably be bitching tgat they wasted money on the trials instead of ammo.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carried a M9 daily in the performance of duty, and think the 320 is a big step in the right direction.

I couldn't stand the open slide, and the magazines seemed to suck. To be honest my M9 was probably super worn out, but just the overall design is way to complicated compared to the simplicity of most modern striker fired pistols. One time the slide lock spring came out of my M9 during cleaning. It took awhile to get that back on there properly. Im out now and the USAF will probably take their time acquiring these anyways.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I carried a M9 daily in the performance of duty, and think the 320 is a big step in the right direction.

I couldn't stand the open slide, and the magazines seemed to suck. To be honest my M9 was probably super worn out, but just the overall design is way to complicated compared to the simplicity of most modern striker fired pistols. One time the slide lock spring came out of my M9 during cleaning. It took awhile to get that back on there properly. Im out now and the USAF will probably take their time acquiring these anyways.
    While the slide stop spring is a PITA that is a VERY detailed cleaning. And should be an armorer job outside normal ground pounders. There is ZERO reason to ever dick with that in the field or otherwise. the only time it to take the trigger pin out. Which would mean a broken return spring...once again. Armorer it goes

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    The Army bought new pistols. Not pistol training.

The soldier in that photo is a GO.

We're a long way from General Patton and his ivory-gripped Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum "Killing Gun".
    I found the source article.... based on his position, it is safe to assume that he did not 'grow up' in a maneuver branch before becoming a GO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    I think the bigger problem is not that there are soldiers what suck at pistol craft, like the soldiers in the M17 rollout video or the picture of the General I posted, but rather the Army’s PR sucks. Releasing video like that showing sloppy shooting is not professional. Big Army needs do a better job at controlling its public image when rolling out a new weapon system. If I were in charge I would be furious at whoever let that picture of the General be published. It not only makes the Army look dumb, that General got lambasted by the public. Subordinates need to make those in command look good. What kind of confidence in your leadership does that inspire in your men? Controlling your public image is super important these days. Most 13 year olds on Facebook do a better job PRing themselves and making themselves look cooler than they really are.
    The issue at hand is that the PAO doesn't know what right looks like.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Truth is less than 5% of the population recognizes the crappy grips / stances of those soldiers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by azeriosu85 View Post
    While the slide stop spring is a PITA that is a VERY detailed cleaning. And should be an armorer job outside normal ground pounders. There is ZERO reason to ever dick with that in the field or otherwise. the only time it to take the trigger pin out. Which would mean a broken return spring...once again. Armorer it goes
    LOL I had to do the armor's job on many occasions...... M2, mk19, M240, M9 maintenance ect.

In the real world if it can go wrong it will. 'Should' never seems to matter that much.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    It didn’t look much better than most of the civilians on the public range.

At least there wasn’t any of this going on:
    Extend them arms and lock your elbows, SOLDIER!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Just need some grip work and safety manipulation time. Trigger reset and press looked good. My 320 is on the way back from Sig, debating moving it for this model when available.
    Can I shoot it?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I finally got around to handling a 320 at a store. I’m cautiously optomistic that it will be easier to teach Soldiers to meet minimum competency goals with this gun than it was with the M9.

I still wish we had spent the money on training.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast