Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magnified optic or seperate magnifier?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    Honestly, it depends on the needs of your firearm. For me, for home defense purposes or similar, I run a red dot and a magnifier. If I need to crank up a scope to 6X to PID someone, then that probably isn't going to be a "good shoot" in the civilian court of law.
    He will also be using it in matches out to 300 yards and the magnification comes in handy with small targets.

Feedback Score
    The Russians mount prism, tritium, etched optics on their army weapons similar to the ACOG. They seem to only illuminate in dim light. When you look at who is using the 1x--8x adjustable optics, these are sophisticated shooters. Some have several tours behind them and now shoot competition. From the look of those videos there is no way an average guy could match them on any level. What I am saying is it may be your individual skill level and, as said, intended use, which decides what optic is best for you. So right now I'm just going with a fixed prism optic.
    x

Feedback Score
    Looking at this from a long term solution now that I’m in my late 30’s the best overall answer for many shooters is a low power variable. So a good 1-4, 1-5, 1-6 etc will be a better bet optically than a red dot sight.

I can still make out a pretty clear dot on my old Aimpoint Comp M2, although it has never rendered a clean perfect dot for me even when I was a 25 year old running it in Iraq. Other RDS’s give me a very clean dot like the Trijicon MRO, and the Leupold LCO (man that thing is optically awesome for a red dot) but that may change as I get older. It would suck to drop coin on a high quality RDS and then have your eyes tell you to piss off, and have to go buy a low power variable anyway.

I have a Nightforce 1-4X24 FC-3G reticle in a Nightforce Uni-Mount on my DD V11 Pro and it has been a good optic for the price. Nice crisp etched reticle, forgiving eye box. Not quite as fast as a RDS at up close but not too much of a handicap either, past 50-75 yards I think it is a distinct advantage over the RDS.

Someday I may have to try the Leupold LCO with a D-EVO behind it. Seems like the solution to me, but a pricey one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you all for your opinions and experience. I'm going to hold off for a while, shoot some more matches [with a correctly sighted RD] and see where it leads me. I have 3 basic considerations; cost, weight and real estate on my Colt upper. I could buy a new upper with more room and maybe less weight but that means no new optics for a while. I did try a full size musket [20"] a few days ago and it felt and fit great. I am well over 6' after all and I'm not getting in and out of a vehicle all day with a carbine.
    The dot in my Pro is fairly clear despite my eyes being as middle aged as the rest of me. I did handle a Elcan 1 or 4x recently and loved it, everything except the price. Given my uses I think I will try to evaluate a 1-4x variable, 3x fixed and 3x magnifier. Whatever I end up getting needs to be something I can live with for a while.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been going around and around with this same thing for a while now, as I have bad astigmatism for a 33 year old, which causes all the RDSs to look like grape clusters with big starbursts. I had an Aimpoint PRO for a while, and at close range it is wonderfully fast and easy. However, even bench zeroing at 25yds was frustrating because I could not get a consistent, sharp sight picture.

I don't shoot matches and I'm just a regular civilian Joe, but I decided a while back I wanted to put together a sort of "do all" rifle for home/property defense, hunting, etc. that would be solid for the next twenty years or more. I'm minimizing a lot of excess junk and this is what I am paring down to.

I bought a 6920 Trooper when they were under $700, and at the moment I'm nearly set on a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x in a Leupold IMS mount. I want covered turrets so I can zero and forget it. This is kind of my modern version of the budget "hanging over the fireplace" homestead rifle. Defend the house with a close to 1x illuminated dot reticle, and stretch it out at 4x for Indian raiding parties or whatever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123