Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnified optic or seperate magnifier?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Magnified optic or seperate magnifier?

Where should I spend my money? Trying to keep it inexpensive. I already have a Aimpoint Pro red dot but my eyes say they need some magnification. Thinking about a Vortex Sptifire 3X or Vortex magnifier.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I have both. I prefer the Spitfire with the etched reticle. Less clutter on the rail, lighter weight than the 3x/red dot combo and, although it has the capability to be illuminated, the reticle is visible in daylight/low light without lighting so battery life concerns aren't an issue. At night you have the option of red or green to illuminate the reticle. In fact, my 3x magnifier is sitting in my gun safe. I never use it. I use my red dot for close range and my Spitfire when additional magnification is required.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm a huge fan of magnifiers. I used one in Iraq and it was indispensable for PID at distance while not sacrificing my ability to clear rooms(Although to be honest, I'm probably going to crank off that first round just looking over the front sight post in a room). You can also use it on multiple guns.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I'm a huge fan of magnifiers. I used one in Iraq and it was indispensable for PID at distance while not sacrificing my ability to clear rooms(Although to be honest, I'm probably going to crank off that first round just looking over the front sight post in a room). You can also use it on multiple guns.
    What did you use?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My first two semi-legit AR optics were an Aimpoint PRO and a Burris AR332 3X. Like most old guys I have presbyopia and I quickly developed a liking for the etched reticle on the Burris.

The problem is for CQB stuff the 3X while not useless, is not conducive to speed and precision.

At this point the PRO is on my training rifle, the Burris AR332 is on my wife's rifle and the two HD's (an SBR and a pistol waiting on a stamp) are sporting a Spitfire 1X and a Burris AR 1X. The Spitfire 1X has the better reticle. The Spitfire is also lighter.

I also have a couple of scoped rifles, but that point being discussed.

If most of your shooting is 25 and out, I'd heartily recommend the Burris AR332 3X. I used it out to 600 and found the reticle to be accurate. A lot of eviewers say they prefer Spitfire 3X's reticle, I've never used one.

Cabela's has the AR332 and a Burris Fastfire combo for $349.00 - you'd have the 3X for 25 out and the Fire for close in. I haven't used the fastfire on an AR, but it does hold zero on a shotgun.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...9.uts?slotId=0

They also have the Vortex Spitfire 3X for $300.00. http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...0.uts?slotId=0

I'm sure you could find them elsewhere more inexpensively, I always check Cabela's first because I generally don't carry money, just my Cabela's card, and therefore we always have Cabela's Bucks.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK, thanks all. I'm leaning toward the magnifier which will give me the option of 1X or 3X [and take up a lot of real estate..], kind of a poor man's Elcan. I would love to keep it all Aimpoint but their magnifier costs more than my Pro, same with EOtech. I'm thinking Vortex, are there any more in that price point and quality?

I'd like to add that my use is club 2 gun matches [and self defense]. The ranges of use are usually very close to 300m max. My performance last time was poor at distances of 50m and out. I thought I had the Aimpoint zeroed for 50m but when I checked yesterday it was 16 clicks high at 50m. I'm more confident now but 3X would sure help just finding the targets amongst the grass and bush the stage designers seem to enjoy...
    Last edited by 1986s4; 11-30-17 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    My first two semi-legit AR optics were an Aimpoint PRO and a Burris AR332 3X. Like most old guys I have presbyopia and I quickly developed a liking for the etched reticle on the Burris.

The problem is for CQB stuff the 3X while not useless, is not conducive to speed and precision.

At this point the PRO is on my training rifle, the Burris AR332 is on my wife's rifle and the two HD's (an SBR and a pistol waiting on a stamp) are sporting a Spitfire 1X and a Burris AR 1X. The Spitfire 1X has the better reticle. The Spitfire is also lighter.

I also have a couple of scoped rifles, but that point being discussed.

If most of your shooting is 25 and out, I'd heartily recommend the Burris AR332 3X. I used it out to 600 and found the reticle to be accurate. A lot of eviewers say they prefer Spitfire 3X's reticle, I've never used one.

Cabela's has the AR332 and a Burris Fastfire combo for $349.00 - you'd have the 3X for 25 out and the Fire for close in. I haven't used the fastfire on an AR, but it does hold zero on a shotgun.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...9.uts?slotId=0

They also have the Vortex Spitfire 3X for $300.00. http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...0.uts?slotId=0

I'm sure you could find them elsewhere more inexpensively, I always check Cabela's first because I generally don't carry money, just my Cabela's card, and therefore we always have Cabela's Bucks.

Hope this helps.
    I have been looking at the Primary Arms 2.5X prism scope. It has an etched reticle and the reticle looks great. It is zeroed at 50 yards and supposed to be good to 25 yards. Question: if a threat pops up less than 25 yards away, do you really do much aiming? After all most Americans can hit a moving target with a football at that range. I am a new shooter and so this may seem like a stupid question for experienced guys.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Aimed fire. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    do you really do much aiming?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have been looking at the Primary Arms 2.5X prism scope. It has an etched reticle and the reticle looks great. It is zeroed at 50 yards and supposed to be good to 25 yards. Question: if a threat pops up less than 25 yards away, do you really do much aiming? After all most Americans can hit a moving target with a football at that range. I am a new shooter and so this may seem like a stupid question for experienced guys.
    Stress does scary things to the body, and that 25yard and in shot is not ever a chip shot under adverse conditions. Whatever ranges for personal defense you can see yourself being in, train like crazy to get super comfortable in those proximities (SP). Don't assume you are going to step up just because of the optic you have mounted on your weapon.

Like Outlander said, Aimed fire every damn time.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Best way to test that is find out for yourself. Find a match, class, etc and see how easy it is to hit a moving target at 25 yards. Now consider the target is shooting back at you, the dog is barking, there's a not much light, etc, etc. I'm far from a BTDT type, but you'd be amazed at what you'll miss under pressure with a handgun at a y 10 yards under adverse conditions. A long gun with an RDS on it helps considerably no doubt but still requires aimed fire which is far more difficult than many realize, until they try it.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast