Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnified optic or seperate magnifier?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I go with magnified optics, but only if their low power setting has very little if any magnification. You'll need to check thru the models available to see which will allow that. I prefer both eyes open at most ranges, so magnification at short distances screws up things.

With a lot of magnified optics going towards 6x, I don't see the need for two things mounted on the rifle. It presents more weight than what is needed.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Aimed fire. Always.
    Concur. I used to think point shooting was faster, until I tried to use it under stress one day. Misses don’t count.

I tried a flip magnifier in AFG and didn’t like it. It felt like I had too much stuff going on on my gun.

I would go with a 1x variable optic or a fixed low power optic.

Feedback Score
    OK guys, thanks. I will practice as you say. One more question. Some prism scopes come with a small iron sight mounted on top for this type of shooting. I know, you can also mount something like a Doctor Sight but one ACOG and a ScStar clone come with a small front and rear iron sight. What do you think of this setup? Would it be worth it to mount a rail on top of a prism and find a way to attach a small front-rear iron sight, assuming one is available?

This is the one:
    https://shop.opticsplanet.com/trijic...SABEgItOPD_BwE
    Last edited by Dr. Bullseye; 12-01-17 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    OK guys, thanks. I will practice as you say. One more question. Some prism scopes come with a small iron sight mounted on top for this type of shooting. I know, you can also mount something like a Doctor Sight but one ACOG and a ScStar clone come with a small front and rear iron sight. What do you think of this setup? Would it be worth it to mount a rail on top of a prism and find a way to attach a small front-rear iron sight, assuming one is available?

This is the one:
    https://shop.opticsplanet.com/trijic...SABEgItOPD_BwE
    The backup irons on some optics like the ACOG and Elcan are just that, back up irons. You can be effective with them if you train, but they are not necessary. I do suggest quality irons on your firearm in conjunction with an optic though, that you've also zeroed and trained with, just in case your optic ever does fail. YMMV.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    The backup irons on some optics like the ACOG and Elcan are just that, back up irons. You can be effective with them if you train, but they are not necessary. I do suggest quality irons on your firearm in conjunction with an optic though, that you've also zeroed and trained with, just in case your optic ever does fail. YMMV.
    I have KAC Standard 200-600 back up irons and I train with them both live and dry fire a lot. My thought is if a threat pops up closer than for which the optic parameters are designed, would the tiny back up irons on top be the answer?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They can be if you train with them as said above.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    OK, thanks all. I'm leaning toward the magnifier which will give me the option of 1X or 3X [and take up a lot of real estate..], kind of a poor man's Elcan. I would love to keep it all Aimpoint but their magnifier costs more than my Pro, same with EOtech. I'm thinking Vortex, are there any more in that price point and quality?

I'd like to add that my use is club 2 gun matches [and self defense]. The ranges of use are usually very close to 300m max. My performance last time was poor at distances of 50m and out. I thought I had the Aimpoint zeroed for 50m but when I checked yesterday it was 16 clicks high at 50m. I'm more confident now but 3X would sure help just finding the targets amongst the grass and bush the stage designers seem to enjoy...
    http://www.brpguns.com/hensoldt-panzerfaust-scope/

Very clear optic. I had one in an Aimpoint twist mount combined with a PRO plus Primary Arms cantilever mount for awhile that was ok, but I think the absolute co-witness of the twist mount with the not quite absolute height of the PRO & QRP2 combo was less than ideal.

While the Hensoldt magnifier had nice clear glass, When I got a Leupold VXR 1.25-4x and compared the 2 setups in the low evening light the Leupold was the bright and clear winner.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Magnified optic or seperate magnifier?
    It depends.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, it depends on the needs of your firearm. For me, for home defense purposes or similar, I run a red dot and a magnifier. If I need to crank up a scope to 6X to PID someone, then that probably isn't going to be a "good shoot" in the civilian court of law.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    There are lots of opinions of people that have more experience than I do and are more educated on optics than I. However, I have run everything from a T1, T1 with magnifier, ACOGs, Razor 1-6 blah blah blah. I can’t stand a rifle that is too cumbersome or heavy. That being said I would put the big pig Razor 1-6 back on my rifle before I had something hanging off the side of my rifle again. It is in the way when shooting 1x and it is a half hearted attempt at a magnified optic when in use. If you just need PID then buy a monocular.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast