Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action and barrel questions

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Action and barrel questions

I want to build a new hunting gun that I will run suppressed. I have a Manners T3 light stock inletted for Remmy actions. What custom actions ie Stiller Defiance etc. are the same pattern?

On barrel contours, my Riflesmith likes heavier barrels and I don't mind them. A little meat doesn't hurt especially thinking suppressor. he likes a # 4 contour. Is a #3 much lighter or would I be fine with either.

I buy from Southern Precision and he stocks a fair amount, but more #3's than #4's.

If you were building off that manners, what would you do?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In addition to the Stillers and Defiance that you have mentioned, there are other 700 clone custom actions that are worth a look.

I currently have an Atlas Action from Kelblys, it is their Remington clone. Not an exact copy though, uses a trigger hanger and side bolt release which requires minor inletting. It is a fantastic action.

Pierce Actions are true Rem drop in replacements. They are pretty damn nice, and their %100 Titanium Action is pretty cool (but outta my price range).

BAT Machine makes a 700 clone. I have no personal experience with BAT actions, but they are currently the most popular Short Range Benchrest action.

Finally, Borden makes a 700 clone in short, medium and long action. Borden actions are a little pricier than the Atlas or non-titanium Pierce actions, but the damn things shoot like they have eyes.

Really, you can't make a poor choice with what you mentioned or any of the others.

If memory serves your weight savings between a #3 and #4 countour is around 1/2lb.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Legendary Arms Works makes a copy of the Ed Brown 704 which uses the 700 footprint. I have a LAW and an original EB and think that they’re a very fine action indeed. I’m trying to decide between another LAW or a Defiance right now myself, as a matter of fact. This next build will utilize a carbon barrel, otherwise I think I would’ve gone with a Bartlein 3b.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I want to build a new hunting gun that I will run suppressed. I have a Manners T3 light stock inletted for Remmy actions. What custom actions ie Stiller Defiance etc. are the same pattern?

On barrel contours, my Riflesmith likes heavier barrels and I don't mind them. A little meat doesn't hurt especially thinking suppressor. he likes a # 4 contour. Is a #3 much lighter or would I be fine with either.

I buy from Southern Precision and he stocks a fair amount, but more #3's than #4's.

If you were building off that manners, what would you do?

PB
    I have all those actions. I always run the med palma tho. The light palma is only 1# lighter I think. If you are running suppressed, then you can only go so small before there is not enough meat at the muzzle to thread with if you go direct.

My new creed is a Bighorn TL3 action with the floating bolthead and mechanical ejector. I hunt and mostly shoot long range steel. With the bighorn you can go from 308 to a mag boltface in 30 seconds. Not to mention the bayo style firing pin assembly.

I've shot/have all of what you are considering(actions/stocks/triggers), feel free to ask any questions.

winning combo=
    TL3
    manners
    bartlien med palma or light palma
    jewel trigger
    + suppressor

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Wilson, nice rigs. Thanks for the info and as I research more I just may hit you up for more info. Thanks
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    I have all those actions. I always run the med palma tho. The light palma is only 1# lighter I think. If you are running suppressed, then you can only go so small before there is not enough meat at the muzzle to thread with if you go direct.

My new creed is a Bighorn TL3 action with the floating bolthead and mechanical ejector. I hunt and mostly shoot long range steel. With the bighorn you can go from 308 to a mag boltface in 30 seconds. Not to mention the bayo style firing pin assembly.

I've shot/have all of what you are considering(actions/stocks/triggers), feel free to ask any questions.

winning combo=
    TL3
    manners
    bartlien med palma or light palma
    jewel trigger
    + suppressor

WILSON, where have you been?!?

I have not seen your bighorn build yet but your stock looks very familiar.

OP, I have a Defiance but I bought it DLC coated and if you go Defiance I suggest you do the same. It makes a difference. I have fondled a Stiller, Mausingfield, Bighorn in the past week and my Defiance was slicker then all BUT the bighorn feature of the swappable bolt head is nice.

Honestly just pick what caliber you want and get any of the custom actions and you will most likely be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Where does PT&G sit in the order of actions?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I don't have a stake in this but the Mausingfield Action from American Rifle Company looks pretty awesome as far as custom 700 foot print actions go. Lots of great ideas in that action.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Been working ken. Just got back from the DR last month and now finished up hunting season.
    Top gun is the new creed.
    bighorn TL3
    manners t6a
    jewel set at 10 oz
    bartlien 27 inch 1:7.5 twist
    It now wears a Kahles 624i scope SKMR 3 ret

All these actions are top tier. Well maybe not ptg, I do not even like their bottom metal.

Defiant actions are on the tight side.. dlc does help tho

bighorn offers the most options/bang for buck. I'm loving the mechan ejector.

mausingfield are very nice, I have not shot one of those yet tho.

The new BAT actions are the best(slickest) I have handled, but are 1700 bones and they do not make a lefty yet or I would have one.

Stiller are a good upgrade over a stock action, but you will notice the machining quality is lacking. They still shoot very well tho.

Borden are nice and shoot well, big following in the benchrest crowd.

Any of these actions can make a good shooter, but remember its the gunsmith that works the magic and a good tune.

My best shooter is my 6x47L. This is 5 shots at 500 yards.

Feedback Score
    i don't really have a dedicated hunting gun, but i'd look really hard at the seekins bolt guns. seriously.
    for more general purpose, my top choice is the impact action. second would be defiance. i wouldn't run any of the others. i'll have a couple left hand surgeons for sale soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast