Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Action and barrel questions

Feedback Score
    Ive been really looking myself at building a custom bolt gun. I've been going back and forth between a Defiance Deviant Hunter and Stiller predator. It honestly seems to me no matter what you get as far as custom actions go they will all serve you well and be much nicer then any off the regular off the shelf actions. I've really been thinking about building a custom .30-06, with a 24" threaded barrel in some sort of McMillan stock for a really nice custom hunting rifle that I can kill anything in North America with.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    Ive been really looking myself at building a custom bolt gun. I've been going back and forth between a Defiance Deviant Hunter and Stiller predator. It honestly seems to me no matter what you get as far as custom actions go they will all serve you well and be much nicer then any off the regular off the shelf actions. I've really been thinking about building a custom .30-06, with a 24" threaded barrel in some sort of McMillan stock for a really nice custom hunting rifle that I can kill anything in North America with.
    I think your right for sure, and I wanted to do the same. But my spare stock just turned into a spare barrel into a spare 300WM. I wanted a hunting gun but it turned out the spare parts bin was tactical. Good luck with your build.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Local guy here does some really nice custom lightweight builds for hunting. DMR, LLC (Dane Miller Rifles). He uses a lot of Surgeon actions and Proof Research carbon fiber barrels.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post

If you go back and read my post, any of them will suit you fine. But I would recommend a 6.5 over a 30-06. If you need a little more ummff, then go 6.5 saum. Hurling 140's at 3100 fps is smokin and a 1k killer !!!

And if you get a TL3, then you can change out the bolt head between 308 and mag bolt faces. So it = a new gun with just a barrel swap.

Stillers are good actions, but less refined on the machining as compared to most others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    If you go back and read my post, any of them will suit you fine. But I would recommend a 6.5 over a 30-06. If you need a little more ummff, then go 6.5 saum. Hurling 140's at 3100 fps is smokin and a 1k killer !!!

And if you get a TL3, then you can change out the bolt head between 308 and mag bolt faces. So it = a new gun with just a barrel swap.

Stillers are good actions, but less refined on the machining as compared to most others.
    I just like the 30-06 for hunting due to versatility with the bullet weight ranges. I’m comfortable shooting out to 500 yards with a 06 and I wouldn’t take any game farther out then that. For a bench gun or tactical rig I’d definetly get 6.5

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    I came across this that seemed well received on snipers hide. Seems to be a relatively cost effective solution with the intro price.

Thoughts?

https://www.americanrifle.com/produc...dable-deposit/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12