Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcan (Naloxone) Training

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim059 View Post
    How do you inappropriately administer narcan? It's completely harmless. SNIP
    By delaying proper BLS care to administer a drug.

By administering it when not indicated.

Nothing is harmless when used incorrectly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    By delaying proper BLS care to administer a drug.

By administering it when not indicated.

Nothing is harmless when used incorrectly.
    By administering it PO
    By spraying it in the patient's eye
    When the patient does not legitmately need Narcan
    When the patient also took stimulants and the catecholamine surge puts him/her into arrest

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Every time you administer a drug there is a chance that the patient may have an allergic reaction. In our protocols all drugs administered in the field have this common precaution.

Edited to add that emergency use of epi is not contraindicated
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 12-13-17 at 05:34. Reason: Epinephrine

Feedback Score
    I have some issues with cops carrying narcan/ naloxone to revive opiate ODs. It's both a moral and ethical dilemma.

On one hand, yes, try to save the dopers it is a human life. The other side says screw it, they will keep using any way. Every opiate junkie I've met that has OD'd, has gone back looking for that same high again. Not to mention, I'm not a medical professional. My medical training is basic combat lifesaver type stuff incase one of us goes down and how to use an AED.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    I have some issues with cops carrying narcan/ naloxone to revive opiate ODs. It's both a moral and ethical dilemma.

On one hand, yes, try to save the dopers it is a human life. The other side says screw it, they will keep using any way. Every opiate junkie I've met that has OD'd, has gone back looking for that same high again. Not to mention, I'm not a medical professional. My medical training is basic combat lifesaver type stuff incase one of us goes down and how to use an AED.
    Why bother with the AED? They’ll just go back to smoking and eating cheeseburgers.

Sorry; couldn’t resist.
    Last edited by 1168; 12-15-17 at 13:45. Reason: Cigarettes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Why bother with the AED? They’ll just go back to smoking and eating cheeseburgers.

Sorry; couldn’t resist.
    I would have taken that opening too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Keep in mind not every narcotic OD is intentional. Every once in a while elderly or any patient with some sort of forgetfulness may screw up and take too much of their prescription. Cops always get there before we do. I want them to give nasal narcan.

Feedback Score
    I got trained and got my Project Lazarus kit this week. Mine is pretty much dedicated to treating a good guy who accidentally got exposed.
    Last edited by Instaurator; 12-15-17 at 18:02.
    I shaved my gasblock for this?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Keep in mind not every narcotic OD is intentional. Every once in a while elderly or any patient with some sort of forgetfulness may screw up and take too much of their prescription. Cops always get there before we do. I want them to give nasal narcan.
    I haven't seen a true accidental OD. Lets be honest on just exactly who these kits are intended for.

Feedback Score
    I've never seen a normal use patient OD on opiates. That's not saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it. To date it is currently just junkies. They are also the only one's I see carrying narcan or naloxone in their kits. So if they do OD, one of their doper friends can try to bring them back. Heck here in the Seattle area dopers can get their narcan for free, though it is advertised to family members of opiate users and not those using prescribed meds.

If you've never seen a doper get their high ruined by an opiate blocker, it's a sight to see. The last one tried to reach for my duty belt and ended up face down in the gutter.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast