Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory M1A

Feedback Score

Springfield Armory M1A

I've always liked the M14/M1A series and was looking at getting one for range/target use. Talking with some shooting buddies about this (and also looking at the online comments) seems to discourage this. Opinions seem to be:

(1) It's a long, heavy, cumbersome rifle

(2) It's not all that accurate in the first place

(3) The current production ones suck

(4) It's way expensive

(5) If you want a 7.62x51mm plinking rifle, get a bolt gun and save a lot of money.

Accurate observations?

Feedback Score
    As a long time owner/user of the M14-M1A I recommend purchase of a James River - Bula rifle from the Classic Arms folks.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/m14-...t_tabs_reviews

Good shooting.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have an M1A Scout, and I'd say that I'd agree with most of those points. I don't know about (3) since mine's over 10 years old and I don't know if that's considered 'current production'. I think that you buy an M1A because you want to have an M1A. If you're looking for a .308 to fill a certain role, there are probably better choices out there. I'd consider it more of an emotional purchase than a logical/practical one, but there's nothing wrong with that. I bought it because I wanted one, same as my FAL-type rifles. IMHO, an AR-type rifle beats them for ease of manipulation, location of safety, reloading etc. but if you shoot them like the battle rifles they were designed as, and not try to do AR-type drills with them, then they are still fun to own and shoot.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think mm nailed it, a nice classic MBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I've always liked the M14/M1A series and was looking at getting one for range/target use. Talking with some shooting buddies about this (and also looking at the online comments) seems to discourage this. Opinions seem to be:

(4) It's way expensive

(5) If you want a 7.62x51mm plinking rifle, get a bolt gun and save a lot of money.

Accurate observations?
    Accurate observations like how? I'd reply that your "buddies" are:

1) too weak to physically handle an M14
    2) can't afford one
    3) can't shoot worth a damn with iron sights
    4) .308 recoil hurts their girly parts

Those kind of ignorant questions really don't justify any other kind of answer here.
    Last edited by VinnAY; 12-01-17 at 14:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post

(4) It's way expensive

Accurate observations?
    I'd ask some of those who have served in the Middle East that used an M14 variant how they felt it performed in its role as a MBR, and what their observations were.

Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I have an M1A Scout, and I'd say that I'd agree with most of those points. I don't know about (3) since mine's over 10 years old and I don't know if that's considered 'current production'. I think that you buy and M1A because you want to have an M1A. If you're looking for a .308 to fill a certain role, there are probably better choices out there. I'd consider it more of an emotional purchase than a logical/practical one, but there's nothing wrong with that. I bought it because I wanted one, same as my FAL-type rifles. IMHO, an AR-type rifle beats them for ease of manipulation, location of safety, reloading etc. but if you shoot them like the battle rifles they were designed as, and not try to do AR-type drills with them, then they are still fun to own and shoot.
    Pretty much the same reasons I have a Springfield M1A Standard.
    Last edited by RazorBurn; 12-01-17 at 14:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    I want one "just because" probably won't fly with the wife .

Feedback Score
    The key to an M1A being a DMR is a medium contour barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I toted a Winchester M14 as a patrol rifle for a spell.

M14s are interesting but its an AR 308 world.

I wouldmt mess with a Springfield.

LRB or Smith. Understand its limitations.
    Understand that it is more for personal enjoyment than a par fighting rifle.

And for Gods sake dobt get a Sage EBR Chassis. UUUGHH.

One day I wanna get a good M14 and another FAL but that is way, way, way down the road to the point of pleasant day dream as opposed to a plan.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtscout View Post
    As a long time owner/user of the M14-M1A I recommend purchase of a James River - Bula rifle from the Classic Arms folks.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/m14-...t_tabs_reviews

Good shooting.
    Did I just find a Beretta BM-59 with a new barrel on a new forged receiver, all parts either new or fully reconditioned, for $1,199? What a friggin time to be seriously gun poor!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast